View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Mom's not sleeping 

Post Mom's not sleeping
This is devastating for us. She was great for 2 months and now is seeing the hallucinations again and not sleeping at night. The doctor gave her lyprexa? to take at night and advised her to keep the bathroom light on so she might not see them. She is fully aware that what she thought were real people and angels who came down to see her, are now people she wish would go away. She knows she is having a spell but doesn't know why. We haven't told her that she may have LBD. When do you tell them or do you ever tell them? We are back to the doctor on March 10. She lives alone and I don't know if we should be staying with her or not. We both work. She is fully lucid during the day and able to do her duties. Carol

Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:29 am

Is your mother being treated with an AChEI (dementia med)? That's the first line of treatment against hallucinations, not antipsychotics (Zyprexa). Please read Boeve's Continuum paper on lbda.org.

The question of "do you tell the patient" has come up again just recently. I'd suggest you look through the first pages of posts in every section of the Forum.

Robin

PS. You may get more replies to your post if you put it under "Symptoms."

Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:38 pm

One use of Zyprexa is for people with bi-polar disorder and can quickly counter mania. My husband Jerome had jut one dose of Zyprexa and had a very bad reaction so it was stopped immediately. Not sure why Zyprexa would be given for hallucinations. Good luck!

Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:30 am

Zyprexa is another atypical antipsychotic. One of our local neurologists dislikes it as much as Risperdal and Haldol. But EricSEA thought highly of it, and a few others here have mentioned it positively.

If you are implying that Zyprexa should not be the first-line treatment for hallucinations, I'll heartily agree with that!

Robin

Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]