View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 New Today and wish I weren't 

Post New Today and wish I weren't
My 89 year old mother-in-law has been under the care of a psychiatrist for the past year. She was admitted into the psych ward of the local hospital last May because she was hallucinating and people were coming out of her TV and frightening her. She was on abilify which debilitated her physical condition while helping her mental condition. She is also on lexapro and doing well but suddenly had a relapse and seeing people and animals in her room at night. The doctor feels she has Lewy Body Disease and after reviewing the symptoms online, we agree. She has been seeing these people for years but they became violent last year and spilled blood on her carpet and wall and came after her with a needle. She has also fallen numerous times, walks with a shuffle, hunches over with back pain, has no feeling in her hands, cannot open jars, etc. etc. Just yesterday I was helping her with her medications and she was very confused. She has always been very confident about what medications she has taken up to this point. She also has a lot more questions about her finances. We would like to participate in the forums. Her mother had dementia and was in a nursing home for some years until she died at 93. I wonder how long this will last? You don't want to will your loved one to pass but you don't want life in a nursing home either where they sit tied in wheelchairs with their heads down and drooling. She was in one a few years ago for some unrelated therapy and it was awful. I know she would be horrified if she ever had to go back to a place like that. It is sad but at least we know what it is that has affected her. :roll: Carol

Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:05 pm

Sorry you have to be here. Give the MD Boeve's Continuum paper (find it on lbda.org) and read it yourself. That gives the proper treatment for someone with LBD. You may be able to get rid of the hallucinations with an AChEI (dementia med).

One thing I have realized is that it may be impossible for an adult child to understand how a parent views his/her quality of life. I remember first filling out a living will at the age of 40 or so. This was done in a conference room with about 10 of us filling out the form. An RN and a social worker were leading the discussion. I found out that what I would accept was significantly less than what the 70 and 80-year-olds would accept. It seems that as one gets older, one is willing to put up with more indignities. So drooling at 40 may be unacceptable but drooling at 80 may be tolerable.

Robin

Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi Carol, I am glad to meet you but also am very sorry that you are here, but you have come to the right place and you will get a lot of good advice here.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:30 pm
Profile WWW

Welcome to the LBDA forums , glad you found us but am sorry for your reasons and feel free to participate here as much as you need and want to, as you post each question and comment , just post to the area's that apply, that way more people will view it.
Good Luck!

Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:40 pm
Profile WWW

Welcome, glad to meet you, but sorry under these circumstances. You have come to the right place for information and advice. This is a difficult jourey we are all on but educating, sharing and venting does help.

Ditto for what the rest have said.

Wishing you lots of luck.
Dianne

Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:14 am

Welcome to the world of LBD although I am sorry you have to be here. I agree with everyone else's advice here. Believe me, they know exactly what you are talking about. You are in the right place to get real, solid advice about this complicated disease. I went through the same thing that you did with my mother-in-law. Stick to your guns and don't let the professionals bully you. If you don't like what a doctor is telling you, express your opinion. They are here for your loved one and if they aren't doing a good job, fire them and move on to a better doctor.

Is your mother-in-law seeing a geriatric psychiatrist? There are safe medications that she can be prescribed that will help with the hallucinations and delusions. She does not have to suffer like this. Good luck and stay strong.

Joyce K

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:07 am

Post Mother in Law
Actually, we are seeing an available psychiatrist, the one she saw in the hospital. None of the psychiatrist's around here are taking new patients except the very new ones. Actually, she has slept well the last 3 or 4 nights and that is the big issue. In fact, she is doing so well we wonder if she really has this. But she still has visiting people and animals and they come at night and shuffling feet, falling occassionally, and poor hand strength. The doc recommended she sleep with a light on so that the people wouldn't come out so she finally figured out to put the timer on the TV and take tylenol PM with her night meds and she falls asleep. Thank God so far. Thanks everyone. Carol

Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:34 pm

Tylenol PM contains the active ingredient in Benadryl. Benadryl is an anticholinergic and normally you don't want to give an anticholinergic to someone with an acetylcholine deficit (such as someone with LBD). A common side effect is mental confusion.

Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]