View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Intro and question on peripheral neuropathy/DLB link 

Post Intro and question on peripheral neuropathy/DLB link
Hello I am new to this forum.

My mother, who passed away in 2002 of pneumonia, had dementia and a peripheral neuropathy. We had many tests in the two years before her death.

Somehow I always felt her neuropathy and dementia were linked in some way. Like perhaps something was attacking the myelin sheath in her brain and legs. It was not diabetes, or thyroid and her neuropathy in her legs was not due to the brain not sending a signal to her legs.

Does anyone know of a suspected link between LBD and peripheral neuropathy?

Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:54 pm

I have heard of no research into a possible link between neuropathy (or PN) and dementia. It is my impression that many people with MSA (a non-dementing illness with many similarities to LBD), LBD, and perhaps PD (certainly non-dementing in early and mid-stages) have neuropathy. But neuropathy seems to be a common problem in its own right.

If your mother did have diabetes and the neuropathy was associated with that, then there is a known connection between Alzheimer's Disease and diabetes. Some people are now calling for the designation of "type 3 diabetes" -- the diabetes associated with AD.

Robin

Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:59 pm

I don't think this is related to your mother's situation but just in case... There are some reports in today's news that Seroquel use may have led to an increase in the rate of diabetes (and weight gain). See:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/28/business/28drug.html
Robin

Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]