View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Last Mile of the Journey 

Post The Last Mile of the Journey
Hello everyone,

I joined this group some time ago, but never posted even though I am the primary caregiver for my wonderful mother, Effie. She'll be 82 tomorrow and was an amazing woman. I speak of her in the past because she has been referred to hospice care, only 4 years after a generalized dementia diagnosis. She's been given a 50% chance of living another six months.

Not only that, but the new neurologist confirmed my early non-scientific, web-researched diagnosis of LBD. In November 2004, we were referred to a brain center for evaluation, and in April 2005, Mom was diagnosed. She lived in her own home, drove her own car, and was very social and full of life. By September 2007, she was in assisted living. After a hospitalization in March 2008, she entered a nursing home, where she is today. Mom's decline has been rapid and intense, and I look back and wish I had insisted on a second opinion. I just didn't know.

Mom's physical health is fine, but LBD has taken her away from us so quickly. She's only here in body now, and the personality and spark of life I knew is only evident during the moments right before sleep.

Finally, I just want to say that Mom was a remarkable woman, who has successfully reared three children. We all have families, and Mom has been an integral part of our lives. We''ve taken care of her faithfully, and prepared funeral arrangements and other financial matters. Nevertheless, I dread the coming months. Her loss will be devastating.

Even though I was able to cope with the day-to-day caregiving decisions, I don't know how I'm going to cope with the next stage. I need help.

Thanks for your support forum. I really appreciate being able to share my feelings.

Cecelia

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:26 pm

Cecelia, one way to cope will be to take joy when your mother is finally released of this insidious disease, and you take the time to recall the many decades of wonderful memories with this very fine woman. Take care...

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:17 pm

My heart goes out to you. It sounds like you have taken excellent care of your mom for which you should be very proud of yourself. I don't know if there is anything anyone can do to make the end better for you...but we can listen and be here for you. Take solice in the fact that she will no longer be suffering from this dreadful disease and will finally be at peace in a better place. Hold her hand, hug her, tell her you love her. She will feel your love shine through. It will be good for both of you :)
I lost my dear mother in October 2008. She was 92, full of life, vibrant and my best friend. I am so glad she is out of her misery which was caused by dementia as she didn't deserve to live that way. However, I must say, I do miss her every day.

Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Dianne

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:03 am

Thank you for sharing part of your mother's story with us!
Robin

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:47 am

Welcome and I am sure you will find some comfort here, Hindsight having a different DX probably would not mean that much now. Take these days and weeks and months and tell her everything you want to and just be with her when you can, your memories are what you will have with you for life.

Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:45 am
Profile WWW

You are a wonderful daughter. I lost my mother-in-law last August. The only regret I have is not telling her that I loved her more often. Let your mom know how much you love her and let her feel your loving touch. You are doing the best you can and we are all here for you.

Thoughts and prayers to you,
Joyce K

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]