View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Daughter of Charles 

Post Daughter of Charles
Hi. I'm Betty and my Dad has LBD. (I feel like I'm in an AA meeting and you should say "Hello Betty.") I'm sure my story echos countless others. We were told my Dad had Alzheimer's several years ago. He's been on many different meds. My mom took care of him which became increasingly hard. The day after Christmas '08 we put him in NH. He was just adjusting when they claimed he became violent at night. The sent him to the local hospital's psych ward. returned him doped up a week later. A few days later there was another "incident" and he was sent to another hospital further away. (2hours) He was there for a week. And that is where he was diagnosed with LBD. This was almost two weeks ago. He's back at the NH. He's on almost 20 meds. We've passed out fliers, talked to doctors and now just trying to survive the chaos that comes with this disease. FRUSTRATION is the biggest problem because I feel so powerless to help my Dad. How can people not know about this disease? What can we do to get it out there?

Thanks for reading. I'll be in touch, reading, and writing when I get the chance. I'm working full time with three kids. one almost 15 and two VERY active 4 year twin boys, so it's hard to find time for all of this.

Betty

Daughter of Charles, dx Jan09, in NH

Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:37 pm
Profile WWW

Welcome to the LBDA forums, everything about LBD is frustrating to put it mildly! The word is getting out very slowly, I suggest that you contact the LBDA and ask for brochures and just keep them with you and everytime someone looks at you like you have 2 heads on your shoulders hand them one.

I do hope they can get your dad back to where he was and not have to use so many meds to keep him calm, it is a matter of finding the correct combination that works for him and not an easy task, but anyway I am glad that you have joined us!

Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:10 pm
Profile WWW

Hello Betty. Sorry to hear about your father's recent turmoil.

Be sure to read Boeve's "Continuum" paper and give it to the facility. And there's a new LBDA pamphlet for the newly-diagnosed that might be useful to your family and the facility as well.

Good luck,
Robin

Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Post re: Dr Boeve's Continuum
Robin,
Where do I find that? Geez, I feel stupid!
Betty

Daughter of Charles, dx Jan09, in NH

Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:50 pm
Profile WWW

http://www.lbda.org/index.cfm?fuseactio ... nload=1650

I'd also recommend you look over the first page or so of posts in Symptoms/Diagnosis, Behavioral Issues, Treatment, and Practical Caregiving Tips.

Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]