View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 can anyone share typical end stage symptoms? 

Post can anyone share typical end stage symptoms?
Hi. My name's donna and I'm new here (I'm not much of a talker -- I usually lurk on forums) but I'm confused and not sure how to proceed.
My mom's 85 and in her 7th year of Parkinson's w/LBD diagnosis. I feel like through this whole process I've had to find all the answers myself and can never be sure if I'm right or so far off base I'm not in the ballpark anymore. (Mom's neurologist only seems to confirm my suspicions but that doesn't help my confidence much.

She was recently admitted to the hospital w/a UTI and severe dehydration. This is her 4th infection in the last 2 months. She was released to a skilled nursing facility where her state varies wildly -- sometimes she's alert and eating (self-feeding) and sometimes she's in total dementia and unaware of her surroundings. Just about an hour ago I was told her blood oxygen level has dropped to 74. She was more aware than I've ever seen before. Has anyone else ever experienced anything similar?

I know her wishes (comfort measures only w/DNR in place but I just don't know if this is something that I need to prepare for in the near future. (The doctor in the hospital and the nursing home LPN seem pretty sure that is what I am seeing but I just don't have a clue.
Online info about end stage symptoms seems hard to find. Can anyone share their own experiences?

Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]