View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

Post New member
My mother has been diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia, and she is now in a specialized nursing home. We became aware of the fact that she was halucinating rather dramatically this past Spring, and she also was falling alot. We had to intervene but we didn't realize how impaired she was. She wanted to go to an "Independant" Living place, so we did that. After a couple of weeks they called me to say she was wandering into other people's apartments, naked, in the middle of the night........We moved her to their "assisted" living section. That was also not sufficient to care for her, and she began to believe they had a guillotine down the hall, and were a secret Muslim sect and they were planning to kill her unless we all converted!

Anyway, we eventually found an excellent nuring home that has three different units for varying levels of dementia. She's there now, but lately she thinks they are also a secret Muslem cult and out to hurt her. I think she gets this idea from the African American food service workers, who have little hats on. It's really sort of funny because the home is called Menorah Manor!!

Anyway the doctor there made the diagnosis and it makes sense. You know what a terrible disease this is.

Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:48 pm

Welcome to this Forum, though sorry you need to be here.

I'm glad you are finding humor in your mother's delusions! It is funny!

Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:08 am

Welcome to this Forum, though sorry you need to be here.

I'm glad you are finding humor in your mother's delusions! It is funny!

Well, today she called me four times and was really crying her eyes out, so it's very sad most of the time. If I didn't laugh sometimes I don't know how I'd cope.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:34 am

Welcome to the LBDA forums, glad you found us and it is a place you can share, everyone here is walking the same Lewy Path. I am glad you have found a place for your Mom that can handle the ups and downs of this disease.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:03 am
Profile WWW

Just a housekeeping item....you don't need to quote from the preceding post. It'll be obvious to everyone what text you are replying to.
Robin

Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:25 pm

Glad you found this site and the rest of us who are sharing your journey. Its a true lifesaver...and sanity saver! :)

Keep the humor as much as possible...laughter is better than crying..although we all do both.

My LO was diagnosed with PD/LBD approximately 4 years or so ago. We have good days and bad days but we try to take and deal with one day at a time.

Good luck to you.

Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]