View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:51 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 New to the forum 

Post New to the forum
Hello all. I first received LBDA information last year when we found out my dad has Dementia w/ LB. Mom was able to maintain with dad for about a year, with assistance from my brother and I, however, then her health started failing. She ended up in a 'Rehab' Place herself for a couple of broken hips, and an arm. Nothing Dad did or anything. I just believe that she was totally exhausted, and in trying to figure out Pop did not see herself deteriorate. Caregivers tend to ignore their own needs. My brother and I have been caring for dad, and he just finally started a "Senior Club" and I think he is so much better for it. We all see that he especially enjoys the dancing, singing and music. We have had to learn to live in the moment because if you think about the future, you just start worrying about too much. One moment at a time. Tammi

Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:11 pm

Hi Tammie glad you found this place and sorry to hear about your dad. Stick around though there is a whole lot of good that comes off of this site and the people are really caring and helpful in every way that they can be. :)

Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:01 pm
Profile WWW

Thank you for the reminder that caregivers often ignore their own health. I am glad to hear that both of your parents are doing well now.
Robin

Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:40 am

You are so right. Caregivers do neglect themselves. Its so easy to do when there is so much on your plate at one time. Seems when it comes to us...we are always too busy.

Glad your mom is on the mend and getting some much needed rest. How nice that your dad found some things he enjoys doing. Keeping them interested can be a real challenge.

This is a great site for support, caring and superb information.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:53 am

Welcome to the LBDA forums, I am glad you found us , there are many helpful hints here and loads of great info.
Yes caregivers tend to ignore their own health issues, I know, been there and done that!
It's great that your Dad is involved in a Senior center, it's good for him , I am also glad your Mom is on the mend!

Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:07 am
Profile WWW

I wanted to say thank you for the welcome. I learn something each and every time I come to this site. Lord help the caregivers without computer access, let me only be able to relay what I have learned. We are about to embark on a journey with the med Namenda. Whenever there is a medication change, it scares me so. Dad was only diagnosed with LBD after he was hospitalized with a UTI, at that point the hospitalist called in for a neurological consult and put him on Resperidol. That medication wiped him out further, and that was the neurologist that diagnosed the LBD. For about a year, I just kept wishing we could get him back on his old meds, and all this "stuff" ie., hallucinations, bugs, people not there, speaking with him....would all go away. (haven't been back to that neurologist since.) Ah, but I digress, I was wondering, is there anywhere a discussion that speaks of peoples past experiences wtih Namenda? His memory is so poor now, I wonder what the benefits might be? Says memory decline will be lessened, however, his memory is such right now, we can give him a mission to go to the other room to take care of 1 task, and it is forgotten by the time he gets there. Usually find him in there a few moments later when he doesn't return, standing there....contemplating what he is doing. Thank you, Tammi

Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:56 am

Namenda has been wonderful for PE. It "clears out the fog" in his brain and "returns to normal" about an hour after taking it twice a day; It is supposed to have 12 hours of efficiency. We would be in a dreadful state without it. It may not work forever, but at least there is some kind of lucidity during the day. I hope you can have your neurologist prescribe it. Dinny Wolff

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:58 pm

Please do a search of past posts on Namenda. Your question has been asked several times before and there has been much discussion about this drug. It seems that most experience is positive. Some has been neutral.
Robin

Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:38 pm

Thank you Robin, I did finally get to the correct area, and was encouraged with the good reports on Namenda. Wednesday it will be a week and I already see signs his brain must be working better. He is remembering things, such as worrying about $, that he hasn't mentioned for quite a while. Yes, reassuring him has become a newer task, but he is putting regular things, like the steps in personal groomng, back into his repetoire of tasks that he is handling better on his own. Time will tell, and we are not holding our breath for this very day. Onward!

Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]