View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Our somewhat bizarre story 

Post Our somewhat bizarre story
My husband, Jim, is a retired Episcopal priest and was chairman of a drug research review board (an IRB) for many years. During a recent trip in May to Turkey a most frightening/bizarre thing happened. On the first morning at breakfast- Jim announced he did not know who I was!!! The tour went relatively well although he neither seemed to hook in intellectually or socially even though he says he had a wonderful time. The delusion lasted for approximately 2 months. Upond our return we immediately scheduled an appointment with a neurologist ( our SIL is a neurologist in the same practice). Jim has had an MRI, PET scan, a complete workup by a neuropsychologist, and just yesterday a consult with the Univ. of WA Research Center neurologist. He has been placed on Nemenda and Exellon. Because he doesn't exhibit straight forward symptoms- of AD or of fronto-temporal dementia- the "best guess" seems to be DLB. He is really functioning at a pretty high level-- not so much a lot of memory loss but more "executive function" loss. The neuropsychologist suggested that he no longer drive- and he was quite happy to turn the keys over to me.
So I guess that's our story in a nutshell. The "not recognizing me" was a biggy-- but he now does know that I am his wife of 52 years- and that is a blessing. I have already found this forum to be quitee helpful. Thanks. Meredith

Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:53 pm

wow! (I can't think of anything else to say to such an unusual story.)

Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:18 pm
Welcome to the LBDA forums, I am glad you are finding the information here helpful, sadly LBD comes in many shapes and sizes. You are lucky to have a doctor in the family, many would not have been able to get a DX this soon. So prepare for the roller coaster ride of Lewy.
Keep reading and educating yourself because that will be your best defense down the road.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:37 pm

Welcome! Well, your husband must have had a pretty exciting trip with that "other woman"! If you've not already run across it, please look up Capgras syndrome -- not uncommon in DLB.

Travel, can also do strange things. I've found that my husband Jerome's few delusions are triggered by any travel away from home. Changing the "context" in which he sees you, can make it harder to "place" you. Have you ever had the experience of knowing someone for years because you've always seen them in the same place (e.g. behind the dry cleaner counter), but when you run into them somewhere completely different (e.g. church), you kind of know you know them but you're not really sure why or from where? It's because the context has changed.

Glad your husband willingly gave up the keys.

Best,

Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:58 pm

I must admit at times is was a bit amusing. At one point I reazlied there was a "new Meredith" every day. Somedays I was cranky or craby and the following day he would let me know that he really hadn't cared much for the Meredith of the day before!! Also he treated me as though I was his date, a new "girl", so he would be especially solicitous. Now that was nice!! Anyway-- at least for now I am thankful that "the true Meredith "is back on board, the medication seems to be helping somewhat and we are thankful for what is now. I appreciate all your support and I am sure will be needing more in the future. Meredith

Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]