View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Dad has LBD 

Post Dad has LBD
Hello,
I thought I would share my story and introduce myself.
My name is Lauri, my dad who is 73 has lbd. He was diagnosed with it about a year ago. At the time he was at home with my mom, who is only four doors away. Dad started out with the misplacing of things, and then gradually to hiding things, like the remote for the tv, cell phones, money.
He then got to the point where he thought we were all stealing things from him. He would walk down to my house, then to my brothers which is about two blocks away. He would tell us mom kicked him out, which we knew was not true, then he started to tell the neighbors. This went on for a few months. Then after awhile he would forget his house and try to get into the next door neighbors house thinking it was his. He has been on Aricept, NAmenda, Clozipan, Ceryaquil, Exelon, basically they tried all kinds of medicnes. In the past three months he had gotten really violent. We had no choice but to put him in a nursing home. He has been there a month and a half and they are still not being able to regulate his medicine.
He does not sleep at night, he walks the halls there, and then in the day time is so out of it you can not even visit to him
This is such a terrible disease, you see your loved one turn into a totally different person.

Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:20 am

Please read the Boeve "Continuum" paper on the LBDA website. Your father shouldn't be roaming around at night, and there are meds to help with this.
Good luck,
Robin

Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:26 pm

The problem with a nursing home in my experience is they aren't equipped to do the fine-tuning on medications that is needed in your ( and my) case. Also, they don't really provide hands-on 24-hour care. We had to hire sitters when we weren't there to keep him and the staff safe. My husband was quite violent, and the nursing home had to kick him out for which I'm grateful. He went into a short term psych facility for three weeks where his psychiatrist or his intern was available and monitored his medication. Then he improved dramatically. He is now in a dementia facility and manageable. His children were so opposed to the psych facility, but now everyone agrees that it was the best possible thing for him.

Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]