View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 LBD/ Capgras Syndrome and UTI's 

Post LBD/ Capgras Syndrome and UTI's
Hi, I am new to the forum, but have been reading for a few months. It feels good to read and discover we are not alone in what we are experiencing.
A little history: My mother was diagnosed with LBD about one year ago and began medication last summer (first Aricept and now Exelon patch). She got a Parkinson diagnosis about 2 years prior to that. We saw a positive change in her rather quickly after she began the medication and since then I guess we have good days and bad days.
Her current situation is that she often thinks my dad (who she lives with) is being replaces with a "twin". I've learned through emails with Irene that this is called Capgras Syndrome. This has been very difficult for us to deal with, but God Bless my father who is so laid back that he isn't getting too frazzled by it. But it is alarming when she calls me and asks if I've seen "Dad", when he is right there with her. I know not to argue with her but I am still at a loss. I've found myself saying things like: "He seems like a good substitute for Dad. He takes you out to dinner. He drives you places." I know she is not frightened by him, but I still wish I could make her feel at ease. It has gotten to the point that I don't even know who she thinks she is with anymore and I'm not sure my father knows either. Her Exelon was just bumped up to the 9.5 mg dose about 10 days ago but it doesn't seem to have changed anything?
One of my main conerns right now is that she has had 2 UTI's in the past 5 months (and she was totally unaware of them each time) and I suspect she may have one right now. I'm reading some pretty scary things about UTI's. My question to all of you is what can be causing these recurring UTI's? Should I speak to her primary doctor about having her on antibiotics all the time? Could she not be washing properly?
I feel like I could go on for hours about all we have been through in the past few years, but I think I'll stick to one issue at a time.
I thank you in advance for your insight. I feel I have already benefited from everyones words, as I have read many discussions.
CMT

Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:04 pm

You (or whomever the primary caregiver is - your father?) should definitely speak with your mother's MD about prophylactic antibiotics to prevent UTIs. And have her urine tested immediately.

Based on the kind of bug that's in the urine, the MD can tell if this is because she's wiping improperly (and getting an ecoli infection) or something else. My guess is that is has nothing to do with your mother's hygiene. People with autonomic dysfunction (which comes with LBD), may not be completely emptying urine from their bladder. This retained urine can get infected.

The Capgras may have nothing to do with the UTIs. Sounds like you need to watch how your Dad deals with this situation, and learn from him!

Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]