View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Hello. New to this group 

Post Hello. New to this group
Hello. I am caring for my mother who just had her 90th birthday. She fell and broke her back while living in an independent living facility in Fla. I went to be with her for 3 months. When she was to be discharged, I brought her home to Id. to be near me. She lived in Asstd Living for 1 month, had 3 UTI's, moved her to another AL place while we finished remodeling our home for her . She had 1 UTI in the 3 months she was there...Now she has been here with us for a year, and has only had 1 UTI!! Does that say something?
If she had LBD before, it was well concealed. It has come to the forefront now with all the pain meds she has been put on. And the LBD seems to be accelerating. She has the assistance of a wonderful geriatric psychiatrist, who is the one who gave us the diagnosis, and has helped tremendously with her meds. One of which, was administered without my knowledge, while in one of the AL places. Did you know they can do that? Change a med based on a five minute visit, and if the staff forgets to tell you, you are lucky to figure it out on your own?
Anyhow, we are doing pretty well, and I am so thankful one of the caregivers I have, found this site for me. I am happy to not feel so isolated. I have well-meaning friends, yet they really don't understand quite how hard it can be.
Thank you,
Marj

Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:36 pm

Post Re: Hello. New to this group
Welcome, Marj. Yes, I found out that my dad's drs. felt that they could change meds without consulting with the POA (me) at all. Was it legal? No. Did they do it anyway? Yes. When I asked them to please take him off some of the meds and eventually fired the psychiatrist because he wouldn't take my dad off the meds that I thought were doing more harm than good, his CNP threatened to sue my sister and me and she put my dad back on the meds. Our only choice was to sue his medical providers, which was way too much add'l stress. Even the dr. who was the head of his hospice team could be overruled by a CNP!!! How does that happen?

So, it can be a very tough fight to try to do what is best for your LO when the medical folks are standing in the way and refusing to listen to reason and getting their feathers ruffled every time you ask a logical question. Stand strong for your LO!!!

Has your mom's diet changed much? It could be that what she is eating is helping her fight off infection or prevent the UTIs. Maybe it's as simple as better care? Best, Lynn

Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]