View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Hello from Germany! Husband with LBD 

Post Hello from Germany! Husband with LBD
Hello everyone !

I'd like to introduce myself and my German husband, whom I'll call George as he has a weird German name!
George has been ill for about 7 years now. He was first diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease, but in the following years neurologists decided that it wasn't really that and redefined it as Parkinsonism. Dementia has slowly been developing since then. He has over time been diagnoses with Progressive Supranuclear Palsy, Corticobasal Degenration, Gaucher's Disease, and most lately, LBD. He definitely has Gaucher, which is an inherited disease of the spleen.

He was in his early 60s when he first developed symptoms. Now he's 69. I took care of him at home for most of this time; he eventually lost the abillity to do anything for himself except brush his hair and feed himself. Last year, he suddenly was unable to stand, and that's when he had to go into a care home. We were living in England at the time, but moved back to Germany for financial reasons. He has severe mobility problems as well as dementia, which was why he was diagnosed with Parkinson's.

So, that's all for today. I'll post some more about some of the latest interesting developments later on. Just wanted to say hello for now!

Sharon

Edited to add: forgot to mention that about a week after he went into a care home, he regained the use of his legs. He can still walk, climb stairs etc, just very slowly. I live in walking distance to his care home, visit him daily, and take him for a walk weather permitting.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:20 pm

Post Re: Hello from Germany! Husband with LBD
Wecome, Sharon! Glad you found us but sorry you have to be here. Your husband is comparatively young so it is especially sad. It's not at all unusual for those with LBD to lose, then regain, then lose again, physical or cognitive abilities. It's called the 'roller coaster disease' for that reason.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:58 pm

sharon,

welcome!!

so sorry for your need to be here, but so glad you found us.... i've found the forum to be a wonderful source of support and information...
how nice to have the care facility so close...
take care and please stop in often...
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:06 am

Sharon,

Welcome to the LBDA forums, I hope it can be a place of comfort and information for you !

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:34 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks everyone! I've been reading the posts and already it's been very helpful.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:06 am

Sharon,
That's great, I suggest you search some posts that you might be interested in prior to you joining and when you have a question post in the area that better fits your question or comment becuase many times something gets posted here and many don't look at it thinking they have already seen it !
Good Luck and Glad you joined us !

Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:09 am
Profile WWW

Welcome Sharon. Come back often for info. and support - there is a lot of both here. Lynn

Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:43 pm

Aaaargh! :cry:
I just composed a very long post, entered it - and got a screen saying I need to log in - though I WAS logged in already!
In future I'll compose somewhere else so at least it's saved!

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and I'll try again tomorrow.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]