View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 LBD complications with major surgery? 

Post LBD complications with major surgery?
Hello everyone and thank you so much for creating this space and for your energy and time. I have already learned so much just reading your forums.

My question to the group is about your experiences with LBD patients undergoing surgery.

My uncle is 78, with early stage LBD and needs a heart valve replacement. He is content with his health and ability in general when asked on the medical forms if he would be happy to live as he is living for the rest of his life he says yes. Currently he does much of his own self-care.

We have heard a few stories of LBD patients never returning to their previous level of functioning mental and physical. Anyone have any input or advice we are very unsure of how to proceed.

Thanks again, Amy

Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:50 am

Post Re: LBD complications with major surgery?
Its the anesthetic. It happens even with the "same day" surgery. That has been discussed at length on this forum. I think you will understand more about it by reading some of the answers, if you can go back and find those discussions. Maybe after the Easter holidays are over, some of the members with ability to speak to the questions that three of the members here are asking. There are some safe anesthetics for Lewy Body patients but I do not remember what they are.

"See this lady she's 85 but she's nice" When I joined in 2007 this is the way Mr B. introduced me to the people only he knew,he added "You need to listen to her" he was 89 then, death due to Lewy Body Dementia/pneumonia in 2009.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:29 am

I would suggest that his neurologist consult with the anesthesiologist beforehand to choose the best anesthetic. My husband had two surgeries and two colonoscopies under anesthesia and suffered no adverse consequences. As Dorothea suggested, read in back posts about others' experience with general anesthetics. Hope all goes well!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:03 pm

Looking back, I believe that my dad's symptoms started just after undergoing hip replacement surgery when he was about 82. Some drs. now say that the anesthesia doesn't necessarily CAUSE LBD, but it can possibly speed up the process of the disease. Mockturtle's suggestions are what I would do if I were a CG for a LO now.

If I have to have surgery this will be a discussion I will have with the anesthesiologist, as my dad died from LBD/Parkinson's and probably that is what his mother had as well, although it wasn't dx'd back in the early 80's, and there is now dementia on my mom's side of the family. I will be very careful about any drugs put into my body that could speed up a time bomb that I might have inherited.

Good luck, keep us posted as your situation could help someone else as well. Lynn

Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]