View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Nightmares 

Post Nightmares
My wife has Lewy Body Disease and on occasion has a nightmare that I need to calm her down. She never wakes up or remembers them. Recently the nightmares have been severe. On one occasion I was severely elbowed trying to calm her down. Last nite, I was bitten badly during a nightmare. Is this a normal progression of LBD?

Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:39 pm

Post Re: Nightmares
REM sleep disorder involving acting out one's dreams is a very common LBD feature. Sometimes separate beds are necessary.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:14 pm

There were many violent dreams. We were joking about how I was getting beaten up sleeping next to him because I would receive swings from his arms flailing about during the dreams. Several times Ted fell out of bed--once a very black eye with a cut above it because he hit the nightstand so hard next to it. Fortunately, the VA issued us a hospital bed, which helped tremendously. They placed it upstairs and then I just switched out our queen bed with one of my daughter's twin beds. I pushed it close to the hospital bed, which helped. It was another kind of a blow, but I was still able to hold his hand and calm him down because I stayed close. I also was able to sleep better myself--kind of a tradeoff when I missed feeling him get up when he wasn't supposed to. Now he's at the NH, but I haven't turned in the bed just yet because I can't bring myself to do it. It's all a balancing act, but you adjust as you go. Hope this helps.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:01 pm

Welcome Phoenixman,

Sorry for your need to seek out the LBDA group but glad you found us, The nightmares are often common and can become very violent and also sometimes early in the morning even if they appear to be awake are still in that dream state !

Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:59 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks to mockturtle, jeanted and Irene for your responses. phoenixman :)

Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:57 pm

:( I have LBD and suffer with violent nightmares frequently. Sometimes they occur for several nights in a row and I get a couple night break and they're back again. It's very frightening and sometimes I don't ever get back to sleep. The nightmares almost always involve my loved ones who have passed on and my former pets are in the dreams as well. They are always angry and fighting with me in every dream. I live with my son and his wife and I am. Widow, 66 yrs. old,. I have new symptoms developing almost every 3-4 weeks and it has become overwhelming. Just sharing.
JJ513

Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:34 pm

JJ513, I'm so sorry you are going through this! I can't imagine even a fraction of the terrors my husband must have gone through. He always claimed he didn't dream but he did have plenty of delusions and hallucinations while awake.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:36 pm

Thank you mockturtle for sharing with me. I can't imagine the pain that you yourself have been through having to helplessly stand by your husband and bearing witness to his pain and fear. So sorry for your loss. I lost my husband to cancer in 1997 also watching the horrible pain and suffering he went through for 3 1/2 years. It was devastating for me not to be able to ease his suffering. He was only 56 when he passed.
Now, being the patient provides a widely different set of circumstances that I am putting my son and his wife through. This is his first marriage and they are newlyweds. I refuse to put them through what I know is coming their way. I do not want my son to have to bare the pain that I did.
Life is not always fair but I prefer he remember me the way I was rather than what I am becoming. I say this because I love him more than life itself and I want him and his new wife to be able to live their lives to the fullest.
JJ513

Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:02 am

What a sweet, unselfish attitude! God bless you.

Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:52 am

me tto cannt sleep ever evr when naap day bbaad dreams. I just try llearn how use this place but I donnot understerabnd how move in it. I hate LBD and want it all to just stop. I am 50 and want 50 more but nmot like this.

Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]