View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Pat Robinson and Altzheimers (Dementia) 

Post Re: Pat Robinson and Altzheimers (Dementia)
I want to clarify that in my earlier post that a divorce could be a legal tactic to protect the well spouse financially, and only as a last resort, I did not mean to imply approval of any of the abandonment or other actions which separate the spouses in fact. Divorce and abandonment are not synonomous although one can provide the cause for the other.

Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:30 pm

Gail….I understand what you are saying….

and I think I agree…tricking the government into doing the right thing….does not equal abandonment….I did not want to imply that either…

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:05 am

I think that was clear, Gail.

Abandonment is not a subject that comes up often in conversation, but I used that word yesterday. We drove by a newly constructed long term care facility of some kind, and I said to Coy, "I hope you will be able to stay at home the rest of your life." He said fervently, "I do too!" I assured him that there was a good chance that that is what would happen, and that I would certainly work very hard at making it happen. But in the end I might not be able to give him the care he would need. I might not be able to get him out of bed, for example. There followed my dear mechanical engineer's explanation of what kind of hoist could be used for that. :P When we got back on topic, I said, "If it is ever necessary to have you in a place where a professional team could care for you, don't think I'd bring you there and abandon you. I would be there every day, and I would keep a close eye on the care you were getting, and be your advocate. We are in this together, forever." He just squeezed my hand.

Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3