View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 new problem 

Post new problem
my husband just started to cough a lot but the nurse who checks him from hospice says his lungs are clear,but I told her he makes a gurgling sound and I am told this is secretions in the throat which is a new sympton to me. They sent him cough medicne which isnt a prescription .Is there something else I can give him to dry up these secretions? :cry:

Thu May 21, 2009 9:43 am

I know most can take the Mucinex without side effects, is he sitting up most of the day? I hope! Even at night try using another pillow to slightly elevate him. Good Luck, I hope this doesn't last too long!

Thu May 21, 2009 3:53 pm
Profile WWW

This likely indicates that there is dysphagia (swallowing problems). I would recommend asking the MD for a referral to a swallow study.

You can try:
Mucinex (be sure this doesn't conflict w/the cough medicine)
loratadine (Claritan)
humidifier
raising head of bed if it is happening at night

I would also suggest posting this question in the Treatment Options area and/or looking for other posts there on this same topic (mucus, secretions, cough).

Robin

Fri May 22, 2009 12:56 pm

Robin: doesn't mucinex have the same ingredients as Robitussin (plain quafenisin)? I think that's what I found so I continued using the robitussin (generic) for my DH. I believe the mucinex was more expensive & the generic robitussin works just as well with his "gurgle." Dee

Fri May 22, 2009 4:16 pm

That's why I cautioned on Mucinex and the cough syrup. Not all cough syrup is guaifenesin. Robituson makes a cough syrup for chest colds, and there are other makers of cough syrup that contain DM, not guaifenesin.
Robin

Fri May 22, 2009 5:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]