View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Finding a doctor 

Post Finding a doctor
My interest in the forum comes from the struggles my 78 year-old mother has from dementia. She has not been diagnosed with LB Dementia, but when you read the list of symptoms associated with the disease she displays 75% or more of the symptoms – and they are getting worse by the day. The biggest problem she has now is hallucinations that have grown from bothersome to scary for her and for us.

Her family doctor doesn’t seem too sophisticated on topics of dementia. She did a very basic memory test with my mother and declared her OK (despite the fact my mother cannot remember how to use a toaster at times, can no longer write a check, or perform a host of otherwise simple activities). The family doctor did give her Aricept (which caused all sorts of gastrointestinal problems) so she is off that. She also had a recent MRI of the brain that did not show any brain shrinkage as they look for in Alzheimer’s.

Your forum has already been helpful. I downloaded the article about coconut oil and we are going to add that to her diet. My interest right now is getting a recommendation on a physician in Northeast Ohio that understands this condition and can help her.

If anyone has suggestions on a doctor (or any other advice) that would be great.

Many thanks,

Jim Hopes

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:34 am

What's the biggest city in NE Ohio your mother lives near?
Robin

Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:04 am

My mother lives in North Canton which is adjacent to Canton, about 30 minutes south of Akron, and about one hour south of Cleveland.

Jim

Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:42 pm

You can do a search of other posts here containing the word "Cleveland." There are several Cleveland-based members of the Forum, including Mary B. Someone named "onlychild" posted a rather positive story about the head gerontologist at Cleveland Clinic. Someone named "mkm023" actually works at the Cleveland Clinic! You can either email or private message these people.

There is a neurologist at Cleveland Clinic who was mentioned in a news story about NPH, a treatable form of dementia -- Mark Luciano.

Good luck,
Robin

Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:46 pm

Jim

Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:08 pm

I emailed someone from LBDcaregivers (Yahoo!Group) today on your behalf. She says:

At Cleveland Clinic gerontology, "my father [with LBD] sees Dr. Ronan Factora. Here is his information from the Cleveland Clinic website:
http://my.clevelandclinic.org/staff_dir ... _5726.aspx"

Robin

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:06 pm

Welcome to the forums, Robin has given you some good ideas for finding a Doctor who is more savvy than perhaps the general doctors are with the many forms of dementia. Here are a few more names if you need them. Good Luck!

University Hospitals - Case Medical Center David C. Riley, MD Department of Neurology, 11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland OH 44106-5040 (216) 844-7260

Case Western Reserve University, School of Medicine Peter J Whitehouse, MD, PhD "University Memory and Aging Center, Fairhill Center
12200 Fairhill Road" Cleveland OH 44120 (216) 844-6400

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:19 am
Profile WWW

Thank you everyone for your help on this! I have talked to the Aging Brain Clinic at the Cleveland Clinic and we are going to have my mother evavluated there as soon as they get her latest MRI results. If any has any thougths about that choice, I would love to hear.

Jim Hopes

Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:22 pm

Good Choice!

Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:30 pm
Profile WWW

Super choice from what I have heard about the Cleveland Clinic.

Good luck to you on this difficult journey.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]