View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 husband's mother had lbd 

Post husband's mother had lbd
My husband's mother had lbd. Does this pass down to her children? My husband is 66 and retired. Since he retired there seems to be a "difference" in him. I am not sure if I imagine it or not. One day he is "normal"----one day he acts like he is anxious, confused, angry, or out of sorts. He has never exhibited this behavior to this extent as long as I have know him before now. But it seems to be coming more often lately. Of course, he says nothing is wrong and will not talk to the doctor. It seems to be worse when he is under pressure or tired. This probably could be a lot of things. but with his mother having it, I was wondering about this.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:57 am

Post Re: husband's mother had lbd
There isn't enough research data at this point to know whether or not there is a genetic inclination for developing LBD. Until he will go to a dr. for testing I don't know what to suggest that you do. There is no magic formula for preventing it or curing it, or even helping much with symptoms. A few people seem to get some help with new drugs, but if you read the posts here, those folks seem to be ins to the minority.

Stress and exhaustion can certainly have an impact on our behavior and memory, and perhaps that is what's going on. Can you get him away for a relaxing vacation and see if that makes a difference? Or make some changes in your daily lives that put more fun and less stress into what you are doing? Increase exercise?

Good luck, and do a lot of reading on here - it may help you! Lynn

Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Thank You. I will keep reading.

Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:05 pm

Cecover,
Welcome to the LBDA forums. My first thought is about your husband's Mother , do you know if it was a confirmed case of LBD, by that I mean was an brain study done after she passed? As Lynn mentioned they really don't know yet if this is genetic but I always say they just haven't found the link yet. There are confirmed cases of LBD and other dementias in same families.

Is your husband's retirement recent? Could it be he just is having trouble adapting to the non working world he now lives in, some men only know their jobs and family and when they retire they don't know what to do with themselves, Just a thought.

If in fact he does have some form of a dementia it will show itself more in time, so stay on your toes and start keeping a journal of whats happening because after a while it will be hard to remember all the details as they tend to blend together.

Good Luck !

Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:02 pm
Profile WWW

Thank You for your welcome.

As far as I know with my mother-in-law, there was no autopsy. She was diagnosed with parkinson and then the doctor (not sure if it was the same dr.) said it was Lewy Body. I never heard of it before and it just stuck in my mind.

My husband retired almost 6 years ago. Sometimes I think I am just reading into his behavior and other times I think it is as I think it is. But I do know there is a personality change that he says is 'getting older' nothing more. He also was a little anxious. His mother was on "nerve pills" as long as I knew her. Probably valium type pills perscribed by doctors. (I think she went to several different doctors and described the same symptons and several doctors gave her perscriptions for the same or similiar pills. Each doctor never knew the other was giving med.)

I will keep reading and I will start a journal. That may be helpful for the future.

Thank You for you help.

cecover

Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:23 pm

Cecover,

To have a true DX of LBD or really any other dementia a study must be done, I can't remember the percentage of people that were told they had LBD and then after the families found out it perhaps was another form of dementia but they really didn't do too much of that yrs ago and there are still doctors who live in the dark ages. Today many with LBD if they display a certain amount of suggestive features, here are a few things I pulled up for you to read and I think they will be helpful and in the meantime just wait and see what happens !

http://www.lbda.org/node/8

http://www.lbda.org/node/199

Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:53 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks for the info. I have read the links you sent. Will keep at it. See what happens.

cecover

Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]