View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Blood Pressure 

Post Blood Pressure
Just a quick question, has anyone had any problems with blood pressure fluctuations. Moms blood pressure is 164/66 one day and 180/90 2 days later. Has anyone seen this happen in LO. Her blood sugars are doing the same thing now even though her diet isnt changing. Could LBD change a persons metabolism and blood pressure. Mom also has pulmonary fibrosis which could be the problem making the heart work harder. Thanks.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:34 pm
Yes it is from this very common in LBD

Table 1. Comparison of features of Alzheimer's disease and diffuse Lewy body disease
Alzheimer's disease Diffuse Lewy body disease

Autonomic dysfunction rare Autonomic dysfunction common

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autonomic dysfunction

Definition

Dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system (ANS) is known as dysautonomia. The autonomic nervous system regulates unconscious body functions, including heart rate, blood pressure, temperature regulation, gastrointestinal secretion, and metabolic and endocrine responses to stress such as the "fight or flight" syndrome. As regulating these functions involves various and multiple organ systems, dysfunctions of the autonomic nervous systems encompass various and multiple disorders.

I hope this helps answer your question and yes we dealt with this with my Husbands illness, his BP would drop so low he would fall from weakness.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:18 pm

Thank you Irene -- I learn something new on the boards every day. It all makes sense now, she is always saying she is cold even though its 70 degrees in her house and we are all sweating. I am worried because the Dr. is now upping her blood pressure medicine from 5mg. to 7.5. She says we may only have to do it for a short time. She has been consistently high for the last 4 readings. Her hospice nurse comes twice a week. DR has requested another visit tomorrow. Thank you so much for the answer, in keeping track of things, and watching the changes I figured she was having a problem with metabolic issues, just such a weird fluctuation. I hope Mom's blood pressure doesn't get too low now. Oh well such a roller coaster is LBD. I hope you have a great night. Thanks again for your help. Shelley

Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:57 pm
I am glad what I sent you made sense to you, this is such a complicated diease isn't it and you know anytime you need an answer I will do my best to find it for you, I have spent so much time reseaching LBD and yet I still find new things still amaze me !
Good Luck with your Mom, you are a good daughter, you do everything you can for her.

Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:29 pm

Thank you Irene you are an angel to be helping all of us with your care and support. It means alot to talk to caregivers going through the same thing. Even family doesn't understand sometimes, you have to live it hour to hour to understand. God Bless

Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:51 pm
Hi Shelly, You are very welcome, I am glad to have helped even if just a little, I do understand what you are saying with other people but until they have walked a mile in your shoes they just can't understand it, LBD can change from hour to hour.
Take care! :)

Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:15 pm

Post Blood Pressure
Hi Irene/everyone: Mom had a very disturbing incidence yesterday, nurse came out to check her blood pressure and it was 240/100 hows that for an autonomic fluctuation. Needless to say we rushed her to ER to obtain meds to quickly stabilize then sent home. Even though she is on hospice her DR. didn't want a catastrophic paralyzing stroke to occur. Mom also has pulmonary fibrosis and is on oxygen 24/7. Her oxygen levels even when O2 was on were 90-95. Should be 98 to 100 percent. When they took her oxygen off she dropped to 70-80 within seconds. She now has a hospice Dr. who is awesome. Says its a combo of pulmonary/lewy bodies causing all of this. Just wanted to tell you Irene that she mentioned autonomic dysfunction right away. We are going to keep mom as comfortable as possible and use a very slight dose of morphine to get her pressure back down if it happens again, (which they are sure it will). Oh boy!!!!!! I want my mom around as long as possible but not with a paralyzing stroke and bedridden. If she has to go meet with my Dad in heaven please let it be as easy as possible for her. Well my adrenaline rush is over for now, and she is resting comfortably in her recliner, but mad that she has to keep oxygen on all day and night, we are upping her private care help to a few hours in AM and in evening and overnight. She cant walk around with a long oxygen tube because she is legally blind and will trip, especially when she is shuffling her feet. Her tremors have gotten worse and balance is worse too so it is now a safety issue, she doesnt want to spend her money. I told her to be thankful Dad left it for her with his hard work, so she needed to spend it somehow. She said she wanted to leave it to my sister and me, I said unless she wanted to take a trip around the world with the two of us it was going to be used to keep her at home and comforttable. She thought that was funny, considering she never wanted to leave the house even when seh was well. Thanks for listening. Shelley

Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:59 pm
Please know my prayers are with you and your Family, I was glad to hear the medical Profession is catching on with LBD, You and I both know that your Mom is left in God's hands!

Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:59 pm

Thank you Irene for your kind words. We all panicked when her blood pressure went so high. You are never ready to lose a loved one. She is hanging in there right now and her pressure is down. Sometimes I talk to my Dad who has passed and tell him to come get her before she suffers anymore, I would hate to see her suffer a stroke and NOT pass on, that would be devastating to have her paralyzed. Our hospice Chaplain is coming to see me to talk next week, its terrible wishing for someone to go and then not wanting to let go. Thanks again for your kind words. Talk to you later. Shell

Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:16 pm
I understand exactly what you are saying, I used to go to bed some nights praying for his torture to be over, not that I wanted to lose him but I wanted him to be at peace and not suffer anymore, My Husband also had the fluctuating Blood Pressure but I don't think it ever went as high as your Mother's did, that had to be scary for you, and you are right to have to suffer yet another devestating problem would be horrible, I am glad you are meeting with the Hospice chaplin, they can be so comforting in your time of need, Hospice is not only there for the ill person but the whole family and will continue to be long after. When you say wishing for the person to go, I don't think you are I think what you want is for the disease to go not the person and that's where the mixed emotions come from. Hang in there! Thinking about you !

Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:34 pm

Thank you Irene, and thanks for being there. I have been putting off the Chaplain for months now --- denial!!!!! but now I am accepting the fact mom wont be with us for very long, I will be happy with one more Christmas. This is so hard on my daughters too. She is doing ok today but confusion is worse. If its not one thing its another with this disease. I cant wait for the extra help in the mornings and afternoons, then I can concentrate on enjoying my mom, not taking her to bathroom. Sometimes I am so tired by 7pm when the aides come in I feel like I have the disease because I cant think straight.

thanks again for being there

Shelley

Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]