View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Question on a symptom 

Post Question on a symptom
Hi everyone - I am new to the boards and everything I have read is wonderful. Have been on the LBD rollercoaster for 4 years now. Lost my dad to Alzheimers 3 years ago and have seen a big decline in Mom's LBD the past year. One question I have is can LBD cause a problem with sight? My Mom has had macular degeneration for 20 years and is legally blind but was always able to eat her meals, and now she complains her sight is worse. Hospice nurses (she also has pulmonary fibrosis) and has been on hospice since June. think she is forgetting she has sight problems. I think I will call her neurologist on Monday, she has not seen him in a year. Using a walker now and very difficult to get her in and out of the house, mostly because she hates to go out.... I know I am rambling but if anyone has heard of this symptom please let me know, I dont think she will understand what an eye doctor is trying to tell her so I do not want to put her through that. Any help is appreciated?????

Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:18 pm

Hi. Welcome to the boards. I hope you find what you need here.

Yes, you are not alone with the eyesight problem. My dad was diagnosed with LBD 3 years ago and especially recently he talks about how bad his eyesight is. He had lasik about 6 years ago and his sight was 20/20 after that. The doctors say nothing is wrong with his sight (he's been to 2-3 doctors about it), but he believes he has trouble seeing and I believe him. Also, he says that his eyes are very dry and this makes him very uncomfortable. the drs. said to put wetting drops in every few hours. We do that, but it doesn't alleviate the problem for him. Sigh.

Not sure this is what you were looking for, but know that you're not alone.

Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:33 pm
I also would like to welcome you here and I know there are many people that are here to answer questions and concerns, First off I would like to say how sorry I am that your Mother has LBD, I know it is hard on all of you.
Your question about eyesight, yes it comes with the disease, my husband had so much trouble with his eyes and I thought with the cataracts it would be best to have them fixed, worse thing I could have done, the focus problems were worst and when I asked the Dr why she said Our eye muscles move at the same time and that is how we focus but because of the disease their eye muscles don't move at the same time and thats why there is issues, my husband also suffered with constant dry eyes and I put drops in 4x day.
I hope this helps answer your concerns! :)

Hi everyone - I am new to the boards and everything I have read is wonderful. Have been on the LBD rollercoaster for 4 years now. Lost my dad to Alzheimers 3 years ago and have seen a big decline in Mom's LBD the past year. One question I have is can LBD cause a problem with sight? My Mom has had macular degeneration for 20 years and is legally blind but was always able to eat her meals, and now she complains her sight is worse. Hospice nurses (she also has pulmonary fibrosis) and has been on hospice since June. think she is forgetting she has sight problems. I think I will call her neurologist on Monday, she has not seen him in a year. Using a walker now and very difficult to get her in and out of the house, mostly because she hates to go out.... I know I am rambling but if anyone has heard of this symptom please let me know, I dont think she will understand what an eye doctor is trying to tell her so I do not want to put her through that. Any help is appreciated?????

Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:21 pm

Post Eye problems
Thank you all - I feel better knowing that doing nothing except trying to alleviate moms fears is the best thing to do. She also has a cataract in one eye. We had the other eye fixed 4 yrs. ago and like your Dad, it did not help. Thank you for your kind words. [/b]

Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]