View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 SWOLLEN LEGS/ANKLES/FEET 

For the record, my dad developed huge feet/ankles from taking Norvasc for high blood pressure - it is a common side effect. Swelling finally came down with large doses of Lasix. He is now on a small does of Novasc (5mg) per day with no swelling.

Addtionally, several of his fingernails came off, and others just peeled off last summer. Md said not fungal. They have since grown back, but some are very thick and don't grow very long.

Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:48 pm

My 87 yr young grandfather had a recurring problem with edema, leading to cracked skin, which lead to a MRSA infection and a hospital stay (and that's the short version :).

His edema is caused by poor blood sugar control, which is one of the factors that led me to bring him here to live with us. His sodium, potassium, and blood sugar levels all need to be moderated, as well as his fluid intake, or else his ankles swell severely. He hasn't been doing well moderating all that on his own, but 'miraculously' he's been just fine for 6 weeks now and the leg is about 99.5% healed!

Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:41 pm

My DH has had swollen feet, ankles, and legs as well as swollen hands, wrists, and arms. We tried Lasix, but it made no difference. For my DH, LBD is mainly attacking his midbrain/autonomic functions. They said nothing would likely reduce the swelling. His swelling seems to go up and down regardless of his level of activity, though his pain from rigidity seems to increase with activity.

Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:15 pm

My MIL also has swollen ankles... it was one of the things that landed her in the hospital last week! The similarities between our loved ones is amazing. I would have thought inactivity must have something to do with this symptom, but maybe not. If it continues, I will encourage the potassium supplement.

Kirsten

Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:18 pm

My MIL is just now manifesting water retention and lack of urination. Her hypostatic functions are greatly impaired. The neurologist told us this week that the digestive system is one of the first body systems to deteriorate in LBD. Her kidney levels are elevated and her sodium level is low. Wiating for a call from regular doctor to see if there is anything that can be done.

Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:58 pm

Post my dad too
Was very interested in this topic when I saw it. My dad has had all sorts of tests for his ONE swollen ankle. He usually eats a banana a day, also potatoes (at least when he was eating his meals) and he was on potassium - I'm trying to get an updated list now. But, even if it is potassium I still wonder why only 1 ankle? Why not both? Anyway, looks like several people are dealing with this.
He supposedly has kidney disease but no one has been able to tell me exactly what he has or what stage he is in. The more I read this forum and the more discussions I have the more frustrated I get about not getting answers to all these symptoms I have been trying to figure out....

Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:05 pm

My husband has swollen feet, ankles, legs, hands and he has little puffs under his eyes. These changes followed a series of UTI's that have finally responded to the latest antibiotic.

A recent blood test indicated that his kidneys are significantly impaired. He is on latix, and is drinking way more than normal, but so far there has been no change. As this is a serious setback, and he is otherwise suffering also from dysphagia, incontinence, and advanced Parkinsonism (he cannot stand without support), the doctor has ordered hospice, and he was enrolled today. This is a major step for me, not that I object to the concept. On the contrary, it is totally consistent with the philosophy of care I have been following all this time. But it seems to mark the beginning of the end, and makes me want to hold on to every day, and to hold him in my arms as much as possible.

Doris

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:38 am

Post Thinking of you
Doris it means so much for you to have the help you need as Hospice enters yur life. Just as you have been learning to care for your husband so far there is much to learn as you go along. Hospice has a wealth of information to help you understand what you are looking at and how to work with every phase. Please take advantage of their expertise and let it guide you for peace and comfort. And yes, a hug and a caress is the best treatment plan available... add soft talk about nothing.. just you and him, maybe croon a little love song. I do hope this night is good.

Dorthea

Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:45 am

Doris, As Dorthea said, hospice is wonderful and they treat the family and will help in every area, so you can use your energy where it's most important. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Take Care,
Gerry

Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:35 am

I'm glad that you've accepted hospice. It is a big step. They can help both patient and family a great deal.
Robin

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:36 am

Yes I understand what you mean and holding onto each day is more important now, Hospice is great and they are there for the family not just the patient and that is one of the unique things about them.I am glad he is responding to the antibotics. Just take each day as it comes and try not to look to far into the future.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:39 am
Profile WWW

Thanks, everyone. I am starting to take a photo of Philip every day. He is still so handsome in my eyes. We are exchanging kisses, and looking into each other's eyes like lovesick teenagers. So if this is what happens upon entering the hospice program, I recommend it for everyone!

Doris

Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:48 am

Post Swollen Feet legs
Although it is counterintuitive often swollen feet and legs can be a sign of dehydration. Many medications warn of dehydration and to be sure a full glass of water it taken. My dad NEVER drinks water and always has dehydration related problems.

Water is very important to flush the body of toxins. When the body is dehydrated it will retain fluid.... this can also actually add to incontinence. Sometimes people won't drink fluids in hope that they will not urinate in bed but the opposite happens.

Lots of water usually improves many symptoms.

My dad always had swollen legs and feet. I could never even see the veins and real shape of his feet. When he was in the hospital on a fluid IV for a period of time he started urinating naturally and for the first time in 3 years I saw NORMAL legs and feet!

After about a month at home back to drinking only coffee (which can dehydrate you more) my dad was back to having huge feet and legs.

It is hard to force water on people. I started using fruit juice (low sugar)
and adding 1/2 water, 1/2 fruit juice and dad would drink that. ANYTHING SWEET AND BAD FOR HIM HE LOVES.

Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:23 pm

You are so right: lack of fluids paradoxically leads to edema. Like you, I dilute my husband's liquids with water, plus I have to add thickener (which contains a bit of sugar as well). Cranberry juice has less sugar, so I serve that to him every day. He doesn't have any coffee, just tea in the morning and I've been gradually weaning him from black to green tea (or a mixture).So far this is also helping ward off UTI's which are debilitating. But I haven't noticed any reduction in the swelling.

Doris

Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2