View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Update On My Dad 

Post Update On My Dad
Dad has stopped eating and is drinking only very small sips when he is awake, which isn't very often. He is "asleep" 99.99% of the time now. Hospice is keeping a very close eye on him. When the hospice nurse came this morning she ordered a catheter. She told Mom that the best that we can do for him now is to just keep him comfortable and make sure he is in no pain. He has reached the point where nothing further can be done for him. He is no longer reacting to touch or to our voices.

My husband drove us to the NH at about 10:00 this morning, through the slush and snow. We all visited for about 20 minutes, then we left Mom there. I went to pick her up at 4:00 this afternoon and we stayed until about 5:00. I know she wanted to stay the night, but she also admitted that she couldn't stay at the facility 24 hours a day. Someone from hospice will be checking in on Dad during the night, probably the night nurse, and the hospice chaplain will also be stopping by to visit him. The nurses at the NH will call tonight if anything changes.

Dad had an appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning to have the staples removed from his hip surgery incision. I mentioned this to the nurse this morning, telling her that I didn't think he'd be able to make the appointment...The appointment was cancelled and one of the NH nurses was planning to remove the staples. I'm sure that won't be happening now. I hope not.

I appreciate all of your prayers and thoughts for my Dad.

Love your loved ones while they're still with you. This disease moves so fast sometimes and the illness or accident that finally brings the end closer can come out of nowhere.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:06 pm

Post Re: Update On My Dad
Big hug to you tonight. Hang in there. Lynn

Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:16 pm

You and your family are in my prayers. God bless!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:21 am

God bless you, your family and your father.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:23 am

It is such a difficult time. Hang in there and give each other lots of hugs!

Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:06 am

Praying for you and your dear family.

Mon May 26, 2014 9:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]