View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Has anyone had problems with slurred speech. 

Post Has anyone had problems with slurred speech.
Has anyone had problems with their love ones having slurred speech. I know it is a symptom of a stroke. In fact my husband has had three trips to the er with slurred speech but no other stroke symptoms and every-time they admit him and run a bunch of test and don't find anything wrong,but insist on keeping him a few days cause they can't figure it out. I read everything I can fine but haven't read anything on this being a symptom of LBD. I don't want to ignore it if it's serious. But my husband fights me every-time I even mention going to the hospital.
Thanks
God Bless
Mary

Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:43 pm

Post Re: Has anyone had problems with slurred speech.
There are so many symptoms of LBD it's hard to know. I don't remember having read anything on the forum about this and I don't remember my dad having slurred speech - sometimes he could only whisper, and he often couldn't recall words so he'd kind of stutter (which he never had done before). There may be other types of dementia where slurred speech is a symptom. You might want to look up frontotemporal dementia, vascular dementia, PSP, AD, etc. and see if any of those list slurred speech. Also, have you done a search on this forum? It may be somewhere I either didn't read or forgot I'd read. Best, Lynn

Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:19 pm

My husband sometimes has slurred speech. I'm not sure if it is due to the PD, LBD or the meds he is on. It comes and goes and he has no other warning signs of stroke, so I just keep an eye on him when it happens. Hope this helps.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:48 pm

My husband also sometimes has slurred talk as if he has been drinking.

Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:16 pm

Thanks, that does help. My husband has been doing it more often lately always at night and I go into crazy woman mode, asking my husband if anything and everything hurts or feels funny etc driving both of us crazy. I don't sleep well and he wakes up as confused as ever but no slurred speech. This care-giving job is definitely not for sissy's.
Thanks
Mary

Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:31 am

It's part of the Parkinson-like symptoms of LBD... weak voice.

Very often my husband will begin to speak but the first 3 to 4 words are "eaten." I have to ask him to repeat himself and he'll vigorously clear his throat and try again. Usually the second time it comes out clear.

The symptom comes and goes.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:37 am

My mother has slurred speech. Very slurred at times, better at others. She's often almost impossible to understand. She also has poor fitting upper dentures and I often wonder if that contributes to it, but that's certainly not all of it. I've had her checked for strokes several times because of it.

While her neuro hasn't officially diagnosed her with LBD (she scored 28 out of 30 on her mini mental status, 5 minutes after she couldn't figure out what the seatbelt was) her GP and her home health workers agree that's what it is. She has every single symptom on the diagnostic criteria.

We're getting a second opinion in a week or so so I'll stop having to throw out those "qualifications" soon.

FWIW, we've had regular home health care for a few weeks and they are a great comfort - they help me make better decisions about dragging her to the hospital. They can also check her urine, etc. so I don't have to drag her out (or leave her alone to go pick up a cup) for that. With Medicare, there is no cost to us.

It's great to have another set of eyes on her, and to be able to bounce some of my concerns off a trained nurse. They're not all up to speed on LBD, but mine is.

Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:19 am

Thanks Gretchen. I know what you mean I wish I had someone with me when he start behaving differently, especially the sudden speech change it would help me feel like I was making the right decision. I hope you can get a diagnosis soon.
God Bless
Mary

Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi Mary,

Can you ask your (or his) doctor about home health services? If he's not eligible now, maybe you can find out how he becomes eligible, so when he is, you can pick up the phone.

There are a lot of resources out there, hiding. The littlest things help! They won't all work for you, but I find each agency or organization leads to another list of resources. There are also nursing hotlines available - that might be a good place to start when you need to check and see if you're overreacting.... Which I've done, many many times. Overreacted I mean.

I've also made appointments with their doctors and gone without them, to discuss their best care options, and emergency resources. (Actually we use a nurse practitioner who is wonderful - she takes much more time and can see the whole problem - including my struggles and limitations - and factors that all in.) Obviously going without them can be a sticky wicket depending on their level of dementia, but I can't ask "when is it time to take away the keys" in front of my Dad. At least not without causing a lot of unnecessary stress. It's nice to talk about the situation with them without tip-toeing around it all!

You may have already done all these things, so I don't mean to sound like a know it all! I just know beating the bushes for various backup systems and extra eyes has been huge for me. All I had to do was ask.

Gretchen

Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:26 pm

Hi; My husband Nick has slurred speach in the evening and at night when he is tired. He also complains of pain behind his eye sometimes so one could think stroke. However I was an ICU nurse so I am able to check other symptoms. We have an automatic blood pressure machine and this comes in handy to check vital signs. Being able to do a neuro check is handy. I am so surry your hubbie has this problem as I find it leads to frustration when they are trying to make themselves understood.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:35 pm

Yes, my husband (56 y.o.) has periodic episodes, short duration, of slurred speech. They always appear in the evening, and are accompanied by significant changes in balance, personality, and reasoning ability. They occur about every 10 to 30 days. They can also be accompanied by a change in voice timbre and pitch. He has possible DLB or MSA. They don't think it is FTD. Yes, it is crazy making, and frightening. All the best. Victoria

Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:48 pm

Hi Victoria; My husband is 76 and has memory loss since 2007. He has this problem now almost every evening. He goes to a Day Program two days a week and I am sure he is in "Show Time" for the five hours he is there as he comes home at three and sleeps until six or so. The Day Program is helping give me some respite and time to do some of the things I want to do. He first refused to go for three years when it was suggested by the visiting nurse but now loves to go. Sorry you have to be here and that your husband is going through this at such a young age. Anne

Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:31 pm

Hi everyone. Thanks for the feedback. Glad to know others have experienced the same thing. We have been approved for a home
healthcare aide through the county and medicaid. But it is a slow process because we have to do it through the county and I live in PA and we are getting snow every other day it seems and expecting another 12-15 inches tonight so it seems the county office is always closed, so I am anxiously awaiting for the go ahead. It will be great to have another set of eyes on my husband. Thanks everyone.
Be safe anyone experiencing this ice and snow.
God bless,
Mary

Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:39 pm

Hello. This is months after your post but I just started with the forum. I read your question about slurred speech and because my husband had an issue with this, thought I'd share. He had the slurred speech pretty early on. Through a doctor friend, we found out it was due to one of the medications he was on. It seems it caused him to produce too much saliva. The Neurologist put him on Glycopyrrolate which has totally taken care of the problem.

Sun May 04, 2014 9:05 pm

It's good to hear that something helped your LO. Thanks for sharing that. I think many people suffer from slurred speech with LBD and also with Parksinson's. It seems to be a lack of communication between the brain and the muscles.

Mon May 12, 2014 12:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next