View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:55 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 eyesight 

Post eyesight
What are your experiences with eyesight problems? My husband has been struggling with blurry vision. We have had him to the eye dr recently and got a new prescription, but he complains he can't see well with his new glasses, has blurry vision, his eyes water, and he has to use his drops for dry eyes a lot. Are vision problems associated with LBD?

Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:21 pm

Post Re: eyesight
My husband has the same problem, but he blames it on the eye dr. I have read on the Silver Fox blog & Ken (somebody) blog that they also have eye problems and they both attribute the problems to lewy.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:33 pm

My husband's vision fluctuated wildly with LBD and frequent changes in his prescription didn't help. Finally, the optometrist convinced him that the disease was causing the variations.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:58 pm

A friend's mom, who was thought to have LBD, turned out to have PSP and she had intermittent eye problems from the PSP. Since hearing issues that come and go are fairly common with LBD patients, I suppose eye problems could be a result of LBD too. Hard to know… Lynn

Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:18 pm

Yup. My husband has funky vision issues ever now and then, dry eyes and a propensity for frequent sties.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:22 am

Most definitely I view hearing and vision problems as part of the LBD. Vision first became apparent with attempts to sit in chairs and misjudging the distance and relationship of her body to the chair. I attributed this to the visuospatial problems associated with LBD. Then noticed Mom was neglecting things on the plate of food and had to rotate it to bring things into view. She has had a recent head CT scan and there is no evidence of stroke to explain this. More recently, when we speak with her she often turns to the opposite direction as if she doesn't see us. And then, just to keep things interesting, a minute later she would read a few words on the TV screen several feet in front of her. In regards to hearing, Mom has for quite some time complained about pain in her ear, particularly on the left side. Now in the end stages, I have had to be right up next to her ear for her to hear me when I talk. Such a myriad of symptoms chipping away at the person with LBD.

Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:45 pm

I have LBD and my vision issues have just surfaced over the last month or so. Everything I read has to be LARGE. Evenings are the worst. My eyes also get tired and get blurred. Tunnel vision when riding in the car. Need to see an eye doctor but I don't look forward to it. Another issues with vision is changes from light to dark. Eyes do not adjust quickly. Today when we took a nap, I could not see my wife across the bed. She thought I was joking when I asked her where she was? I always need to keep track of her. I need to know where she is all the time. But that is not a vision issue. Vision is one of the autonomic functions that degrade in later stages I am told. Also have gearing issues. Hope this helps from a patient perspective.
P.S. I am the author of the Silverfox blog: Sharing my life with Lewy Body Dementia.

Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:07 am

Thank you, Donald. I'll be sure to look at your blog. God bless!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:14 am

Vision problems seem to be very complicated to sort out in LBD. As part of my mother's exam, her neurologist, my colleague Charlie DeCarli, showed her a black-and-white drawing of a couple sitting next to a fence. Interestingly, she could see the lines - the problem was not in her visual acuity. But she couldn't "read" them as a fence, and tried to come up with some sort of explanation of what she did see - rain? It seems that the visual processing, and visuo-spatial processing, parts of the brain are affected. So no amount of dinking around with her glasses has helped her to read, because while she can see the lines forming the letters, she can't process them any more. Charlie commented on this at the time (2 years ago) and the visual processing has deteriorated since then, although I can't tell that her visual acuity is any worse.

I think it may have contributed to some of her hallucinations/ delusions, too. At one point she refused to use the bathroom because there was a dead body on the floor and we had to wait for the police investigation to be completed. Her acuity was certainly adequate to discern a solid-color bath mat, but the image got processed as a corpse. Sigh. Luckily this sort of thing has eased with having her on low-dose seroquel.

Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:51 am

hubby has been having lots of hearing and visual problems, when added to lb really makes conversations interesting…

i try not to get too far from him when im talking with him and make sure im in the visual box,where i think he should be able to see me… some times no problem.. other times.. nothing.. he looks right thru me and calls out my name.. where are you?? and hes looking right at me.. im talking and touching his face.. and he cant find me..???? if that happens i give him time to locate me , and if it doesnt work... i leave and come back into room and say hi.. what are you doing.???. most of the time, that works and he says oh there you are.. not sure if he cant see me or just doesnt recognize me or what?? its really kinda scary!! for both of us!!
sadly, he is in the later stages...

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:41 pm

We find it it is not the eyesight, but the brains' misconception of what she sees. She hardly even wears her glasses any more. They are of no help. Especially if your LO can not read or focus on words, or even pictures. We have been trying to play simple games that are designed for children. Matching cards, Babies and Moms....The old threading cards with the shoe string. Unfortunately, she cannot focus long enough and it makes her extremely tired to focus on it for too long.
Her "eyesight" takes her to something else. The hallucinations of children running around the house, or thinking she is somewhere else.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:03 pm

And add screwed up Depth Perception.... another anomaly

Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]