View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 possibly understanding the cause of my disorder 

Post possibly understanding the cause of my disorder
I don't know if I have Lewy Body Dementia. But I think I inherited my condition from my paternal grandmother who had dementia followed by Parkinson's, and I certainly have a lot of symptoms of Lewy Body Dementia, as did my father. High cortisol events seem to be triggers for episodes of deterioration in me.

I have repeat low serum amino acids ornithine and serine, low/borderline low serum amino acid taurine, high vitamin B6, and high maltase whilst my lactase is on the low side of normal.

I suspect my disorder is familial and probably quite rare, so it seems unlikely that there will be many sufferers with precisely the same disorder as me.

I have researched my results and what they might mean, and there is a paper which I understand reports that cortisol up-regulates the synthesis of polyamines in pigs via a pathway that leads from proline to pyrolline-5-carboxylic acid to ornithine to ornithine decarboxylase to polyamines. The paper says that this cortisol up-regulation results in elevated polyamines and high maltase activity and low lactase activity. If I have over-expression of this pathway this would explain my high maltase and lactase on the low-side of normal and, if too much ornithine is utilised by ornithine decarboxylase as would be the case, this would also explain my low ornithine.

Research says polyamines are implicated in Parkinson's disease and research also suggests that low taurine may be a biomarker for risk of Parkinson's disease. I also have a family history on my father's side of other disorders associated with elevated polyamine metabolism. Further, I have symptoms of amine food intolerance.

Pyrolline-5-carboxylic acid is reported to be a potent B6 antagonist, so if too much pyrolline-5-carboxylic acid is going to polyamine synthesis, it may be the case that too little is available to act as a B6 antagonist, which may explain my high B6. Research indicates that high B6 might cause low taurine as B6 supplementation is reported to lower taurine levels.

If too much proline is going down the polyamine pathway, this must effect the synthesis of D-proline and D-proline effects the activity of D-amino acid oxidase. D-amino acid oxidase also breaks down D-serine and D-Serine levels effect serine levels. Obviously this is more tenuous, but it may explain my low serine.

The overexpression of the cortisol stimulated up-regulation of polyamines from proline could also explain why I have a family history of P5CS and P5CR disorder symptoms in me and my father's family. But I won't go into the why of this now.

There are some avenues I am exploring with doctors as to potentially treating the underlying cause of my disorder, if I am right about having overexpression of the cortisol up-regulated pathway from proline to polyamines, which I can't say is established as yet.

So to cut a long story short, does anyone know a doctor or researcher looking at amino acids in Lewy Body Dementia and/or Parkinson's?

Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]