View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Cyclic diarrhea (vomiting?), fever and lethargy - dementia 

Post Cyclic diarrhea (vomiting?), fever and lethargy - dementia
I had cyclic diarrhea, fever and lethargy as a child that settled around age 9, but looking back it did not completely resolve. I think this may be involved in the pathology of my illness.

I also may have found the mechanism of the metabolic derangement under-pinning my disorder that can be tested for and possibly treated - though the treatment has not been tried by me as yet.

Has anyone experienced in themselves or a direct family member cyclic diarrhea and lethargy and fever as a child that largely resolved around age 8?

I am investigating if this was linked to cyclic vomiting syndrome.

Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:58 pm

Post Re: Cyclic diarrhea (vomiting?), fever and lethargy - dement
My father (with AD) seems to have cyclic vomiting syndrome. Or something. There is nothing left to scope or scan, so the assumption is it is not life threatening. But if he fails to take his Zolfan he will generally have a vomiting episode. It's not on any kind of schedule, which I guess makes it less than classic cyclic vomiting. I don't understand it.

Looking back, he had funny little vomiting episodes his whole life, but much less often. However I personally haven't seen it as a link to his disease - his mother had AD and his onset has been classic. But we can't rule anything out, can we? He is stronger and steadier than I am (not saying much these days!) at 84, so he does not have Lewy Body. My mother does.

I realize this may not help you a bit, but the mention of cycling vomiting did catch my eye, and in case this little bit of info is helpful I thought I'd throw it out there.

Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:16 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I am not sure about the relationship with vomiting, but wonder if vomiting relates to intermittent hyperammonemia (high ammonia, though the blood test is not a reliable indicator of this as ammonia often hides itself quite well) if it is co-morbid with lethargy/sleepiness. If so, a reduced meat and fish diet might help. But it is just guessing. This works for me quite well.

I guess I am really looking for anyone who has exactly the same disorder as me as I think I am making progress identifying biomarkers, the cause, the mechanism and treatment of my particular familial disorder. But since I think most of these diseases probably have multiple underlying metabolic/genetic causes, it may be a long search.

Best wishes

Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:57 am

I am not a medical professional. I am a LBD patient. Sinemet gave me these exact symptoms! Throwing up, dry heaves, diarrhea, no energy, sleepy, runny nose and watery eyes from yawning so much. I stopped taking sine met and those symptoms pretty much went away. We tried sine met again, about a year later and had the same results. I will no longer take sine met. Hope this helps because that time was hell for me.

Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:14 pm

Many thanks. I am not on sinemet, but I hope it will help someone who is.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]