View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 combination of breathing changes/decline 

Post combination of breathing changes/decline
This sounds so off the wall but here goes. My husband has PD and LBD. He was diagnosed in 2009 but had symptoms much earlier. He's had a rem sleep disorder since the 1990's.

In the past year he has what I call "breathing episodes" he starts of sort of hyperventaliting then can't seem to get his breathing in rhythem. He gasps and after awhile sometimes 30 minutes he seems to be ok. During this event he almost is lethargic. His neurologist sent him for another sleep study. It showed very mild sleep apena and his oxygen was fine. I'm at a loss. This just happened again and he was so out of it I put him back to bed.

What is this, has anyone else had this? I'm beginning to think I'm going crazy.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:14 pm

Post Re: combination of breathing changes/decline
Sorry, I don't have any experience with this. Have you done extensive internet searches? There must be something out there about these symptoms. Best, Lynn

Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:44 pm

My husband has a pacemaker and has had Atrial Fibrillations for 6 years. He has breathing spells that are not as dramatic as your LO. He feels he cannot catch his breath and is weak yet his O2 levels are in the high 90s. In his case it is momentary lack of blood supply to the brain because of an Atrial Fib. It is really hard to catch A-Fibs because they come and go which makes it hard for doctors to diagnose them. You can, however, buy blood pressure cuffs that will also show if you are in A-Fib. My husbands especially will throw an A-Fib when going from a laying or sitting position to standing so he does that very slowly. I don't know if this is your situation and I hope that you guys can figure it out soon. Stay well.

Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:42 pm

My husband has been in the hospital for a month and has showed a steady decline. We are moving him to another hospital because we do not feel that the psychiatrist he is seeing now knows what he is doing, and since it is such a small hospital, that is the only group of psychiatrists that are on staff there.

I talked to his neurologist yesterday and he said that it is uncommon to decline that rapidly, but he has certainly seen it happen.

I can't believe this is happening and so suddenly. Please keep him in your prayers.

Thanks,
Debbie

Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:40 pm

Debbie - unfortunately rapid decline is one of the most significant features of LBD. If you read through the posts on here, most of our LOs have experienced large, rapid declines. I don't think the drs. there have had much experience with LBD if they don't see that as a "normal" feature. My dad became almost totally paralyzed, incontinent, loss of speech, loss of ALL ADLs, total loss of mobility overnight. There are many, many instances of these enormous declines just on this forum - you may want to try a search on key words.

Anyway, I know how unnerving and heartbreaking this is to go through. I hope you have lots of family and friends supporting both of you. Hang in there and continue to advocate for your LO who is depending on you to do what's best. If moving him is in his best interest, that sounds like it needs to happen.

Take care of YOU too! Lynn

Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:28 pm

Thank you so much. I do have supportive family and friends.

Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:01 pm

Hi Jdgranau; Could it be he is having an anxiety attack which is causing the hyperventilation. It would be normal for a person with dementia to be tired after such an episode. Just a thought from a former RN. AnneN

Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]