View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Happy Birthday Mom! 

Post Happy Birthday Mom!
Mom turned 83 on Tuesday. Since mom and dad "share" a birthday (dad's was Wednesday) we have always celebrated them together with a big family dinner at a nicer restaurant. This was the first year we were unable to get mom out. We knew it was going to be tough for dad, so my brother and I split the days, so they would each have something special on their day.
When I arrived, I could hear mom moaning upstairs. As is the norm lately, she was unable to tell me what was wrong..but i finally got it out of her that she had a headache (still not sure if that's what it was.) She seemed very anxious.

We had dinner, and she seemed to relax a bit. The best part? When we sang Happy Birthday, she belted it out, knew all the words as clear as day! Mom has always been very festive..made a big deal about Birthdays and holidays..and decorated for everything.

It was so nice to see that a part of her is still alive inside! But wondering...her speech is so deteriorated, yet she's still able to sing?
Anybody else have experience with this?
~Heidi

Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:26 am

Post Re: Happy Birthday Mom!
Nice! :P

The singing doesn't surprise me. I met a Lewy woman who couldn't walk but she could run.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:05 am

Talking and singing use different brain pathways.

That's one reason why there are so many singing groups for those with Parkinson's.

Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:28 am

Heidi,
Sounds nice that you were about to peek through a small window of your Mom ! I hope they both had a nice birthday!

Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:43 pm
Profile WWW

My husband can't put three words together anymore, but last summer at his moms funeral (he didn't realize it was his mom), when it came time to say the Apostles Creed, he stood up, closed his eyes, and recited every word perfect and loud. His sisters turned to me, like saying ???????. It was wonderful. Some memories last forever.

Darlyn

Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:27 am

I have studied music therapy and the brain registers music and rhythm in a different part of the brain from speech. Yes, that reminds me to keep my husband singing the hymns we love. Thank you, Sourmilk

Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]