View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Mom has pneumonia 

Post Mom has pneumonia
The doctor says this is very likely her end of life process. She had such a good week last week, then got sick. She responds to voices and my sister has been able to wake her and feed her some yogurt and such. I'm not sure I'm thrilled about that. If she is really is at end of life, wouldn't pushing her to eat only prolong the process? But then, not feeding her is a comfort issue, isn't it?

It feels like my sister is not willing to let her go. She even told me she thought that the NP was trying to speed things by giving Mom too much morphine. I see this as an opportunity for her to slip away before things get any worse. If morphine makes it easier, I'm all for it.

It's nice to know you guys are around.

Kate

Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:18 pm

Post Re: Mom has pneumonia
How much morphine is too much? Mom is getting 2mg at least 4 hours apart. At what point does morphine begin to contribute to death?

Thanks.

Kate

Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:18 pm

I'm not knowledgable enough to answer your question. I just wanted to say I am thinking of you. Peace to you, your mom, and all who love your mom.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi Kate,

So sorry to hear about the turn of events. I'm sorry I don't know about the morphine dosage issue, but if it were my mother and she was nearing the end of life, I guess I would just be concerned about her comfort and leave the dosage issue to the nurses.

Just wanted to say that I checked into the lack of food issue at the end of life, and I was told by that there isn't a sense of hunger like you would expect. In fact, I think it was maybe endorphins kick in and the person feels a sense of euphoria. This is what my niece, a NP in oncology told me, and of course she deals with the end of life all the time. We were discussing things so I could be better prepared for my mother's end of life. I then verified this information with a geriatric physician and a couple of RNs I know. I have read other sources that also say that feeding at the end of life is not a good idea. So, in fact, I don't think that not feeding your mother is a comfort issue.

I wish you strength during this phase of your mother's illness. You have been with her all the way. Take comfort in that.

Julianne

Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:15 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your mother, Kate! The morphine question is difficult to answer because there is no real answer. Some patients in extreme pain can take huge doses of morphine--it takes more and more to keep their pain under control [thank heavens that we have more efficient delivery systems today, using smaller doses more frequently which is more effective and safer]. Sometimes, morphine will build up in the system and contribute to death because the organs become less able to metabolize and excrete it, but it is not usually the cause and it can mean the difference between a comfortable end of life and an uncomfortable one. Just my humble opinion and one based on my professional experience.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:03 pm

Kate….

thinking of both of you….

prayers

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:19 pm

Hi Kate - do you have the hospice end of life pamphlet? It describes how feeding a person in their last days and maybe weeks is NOT helping their comfort, in fact it is doing the opposite. Their bodies are trying to shut down and meds and food can be detrimental to their comfort. When my dad needed a lot of morphine at end of life, his comfort was much more important than longevity. Sounds like that is your thinking also, but not your sister's. I'd use the hospice materials to help your sister understand what is best for your mom at this point. Sending a giant hug, Lynn

Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:11 pm

Lynn, you have refreshed my memory. The info I read on the detrimental effects of feeding someone in their last days or weeks did come from a hospice publication.

Julianne

Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:39 pm

Hugs to you dear Kate.

I think the feeding issue is a comfort issue -- for your sister. She is more comfortable giving her mother food. And that is understandable. All our lives we understand the emotional and physical importance of food. It is hard to turn that off and start thinking about letting the body shut down. I hope you can help you sister understand this. You have taken such excellent care of your mother all along. This may be the last service you can do for her. But of course you want comfort for yourself and your sister, too.

We all know this journey must end. We don't know what the exact circumstances will be. I have heard that pneumonia is a relatively easy way to go. I hope that is true for your dear mother.

I am thinking about you tonight, and hoping for peace for your family.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:09 am

Kate,

I'm sorry that your mom may be nearing the end. I hope if this is her time that her passing is peaceful.

It's a shame that you and your sister don't see eye to eye. I'm sure that's very stressful.

Robin

Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:30 am

Mom passed away at 11:05 this evening. Even in her death she showed her sense of humor. She'd stop breathing long enough for us to think it was her last, my sisters and I hugged and we'd suddenly hear her take yet another. I come from a long line of very stubborn women.

Thank you,everyone for your support.

Kate

Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:57 am

Kate…

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:35 am

Kate - thinking about you and your sisters, and so glad you were able to be there at the end of your mom's life. She must have been comforted knowing you all were there. Sending you a big, big hug. Lynn

Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:23 am

Kate, my condolences for the loss of your mother. It sounds cliche but it is true--she is beyond suffering now, and I hope that knowledge brings you comfort. You are in my thoughts today.

Julianne

Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:45 am

Blessings to you and your family, Kate. Your mother was a remarkable woman and you are a remarkable daughter. God bless you for being so faithful in your care.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next