View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Profusely runny nose 

Post Profusely runny nose
Is this one of the autonomic nervous system dysregulation symptoms of LBD for some people?

We give my father a 24 hour Claritin each day, but at times he suffers from a profusely running nose (no sneezing, no pain, no symptoms of illness) that is very bothersome for him.

Thanks to all for any thoughts and/or experiences.

L

Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:59 pm

Post Re: Profusely runny nose
Yes, I'm afraid it is. We have faced this same issue [no pun intended] off and on. Mostly drooling, though. The Sinemet helps control them and helps his PD symptoms immensely but worsens the delusions and hallucinations. Can't win, can we?

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:17 pm

I have lived with some flavor for decades….

I switched from Drixoral to Claritin to currently Zertec……with a occassional hit of Nasoxex…usually with the first hint of stuffiness

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:53 pm

How interesting because I have a weird twist on this.

One of my Dad's earliest symptoms was the delusion that his nose was constantly running.
He constantly held kleenex up to his nose, but the tissue never got wet.
He even started to stuff his nostrils with bits of tissue.
He got medication to dry up his nose.
But none of these helped!

I'm not sure delusion is the right word, because in my mind delusion is a higher order mental process. It could have been that neurons in his nose were effected before his brain, and these kept firing false sensations into the brain.

Of related note, my recollection is that LBD may affect the Olfactory Bulb (located in the back of the nose) before the brain, hence loss of smell is an early symptom.

Is all this related to the saying:

"The Nose Knows"? :lol:

Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:33 am

Hi all....

My husband has been on Sinemet and Stalevo for almost 15 years for his PD, but sadly it isn't as effective as it once was...and no increasing it because of the hallucinations and delusions that are present most of the time. Because of this his nose does run most of the time, so the only thing we have found that is effective is buying lots of kleenix (we should have invested in it!). It is just one of the many symptoms of his advancing Lewy's. At least it is one of the easiest symptoms to tolerate. Carol

Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:02 pm

I hear you, Carol. That's pretty much where we are. I buy Bounty 'Select-a-Size' paper towels for my husband because they are soft and he prefers them over the flimsier tissues. He still drools more than his nose runs but both are annoying.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:10 pm

Thats funny, we use Bounty select a size napkins also for the runny nose and I cut a small half sheet in half. We have little half sheets of bounty folded everywhere. I'm not sure if just my imagination or not but on days that LO seems most confused, his nose seems to run more. I wonder if any one else has observed this or is it my imagination.
M

Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:44 pm

My mother's nose runs, though fortunately not in rivers. We try to keep a handkerchief handy for her, as well as tissues. In addition, she scratches her nose, sometimes to the point where it bleeds (outside, not internally). We've tried many things to discourage this - bandaids or films on nose, gloves or socks on hands, lotions, anti-itch creams, something to hold to distract her, you name it. She sleeps a lot now, and she doesn't seem to scratch in her sleep, so that helps. And we try to keep her fingernails shorter. She also pokes tissues up her nose to the point where she has had nosebleeds. Again, as she has become more somnolent, this has diminished. So in her case, it seems that some of the nasal symptoms have eased as she has worsened in other ways.

Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:33 am

thought for sure i had made a post in this area???

a lady on another lewy body board im on.. said hospice suggested a scopolamine patch behind the ears... she said she is amazed how well her hubby is doing.. someone else mentioned there might a reaction if you are on aricept.. so please check with your doc on any problems with your loved ones other meds.. its a sea sickness patch... if there is a problem someone else said usingTry the nasonex spray then or one in the same class... this also seems to help, with drooling..

good luck.. havent tried it yet with hubby, but calling the doc on monday!! fingers crossed!!
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 11-13,released to memory care..

Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:11 pm

My husband has the constant runny nose too... I should buy stock in Kleenex ;)

Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]