View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Recommendations for a Neurologist in La Crosse, Wisconsin 

Post Recommendations for a Neurologist in La Crosse, Wisconsin
A friend's family needs a neurologist in La Crosse, Wisconsin (preferably with the Gundersen Lutheran medical group due to HMO coverage).

The friend's mother has been given a dementia diagnosis by an internist and the family wants her to see a neurologist with experience in dementia. The internist is not exactly being proactive, to say the least.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Julianne

Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:07 pm

Post Re: Recommendations for a Neurologist in La Crosse, Wisconsi
If their insurance would cover it and if they don't mind coming across the river, I strongly recommend the Noran Clinic in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area (they have a number of offices). If this isn't an option, and they can take a drive, UW-Madison's medical school and health center has an excellent reputation.

Kate

Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:32 pm

Thanks, Kate, for the suggestions. Actually, the immediate issue is their health insurance coverage. I don't think they can go to either of the facilities you mentioned. That's why I was focusing on La Crosse.

Moreover, not to shoot down your well-intended suggestions, but frankly, my mother's initial neuro workup and diagnosis were in the neurology department of UW-Madison's hospital and, in hindsight, I don't think they were anything to write home about. (At the time, I knew nothing and the docs seemed very good. Then I started reading and learning....) It was a real eye-opener when I took my mother to a different neurologist, someone recommended on this forum. So I know UW has a great reputation but my experience is that teaching hospitals aren't great for everything, UW being no exception.

Thanks again,

Julianne

Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:14 pm

I am not sure about the insurance but they could check into it, I hope it helps !

Franciscan Skemp Healthcare Dementia Care Program Thomas Loepfe, MD, Director 800 West Avenue South La Crosse WI 54601-4700 (608) 392-9505

Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:35 pm
Profile WWW

Thanks, Irene! The friend checked further and found that the only covered facility is Gundersen Lutheran, which has a dementia unit and a couple of highly-rated neurologists, so I think they will go there. If they have a good experience, I will report back for others' future reference.

Julianne

Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]