View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Another fall, another fear 

Post Re: Another fall, another fear
Pat, help me figure out how to work on the computer at least 8 hours a day, while walking! :lol:

Sitting, standing, walking, and lying down all have the same low level of pain. It is the transition between them that is dreadful! It is getting better, though.

Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:30 pm

Jeanne - having had back issues in the past, which are significantly better now, here's what I do:
lots of Motrin (if you can take that) to relieve inflammation, alternate heat and ice, not doing anything to exacerbate the problem (aka take it easy for a few days at least).
Next, invent something to hold your laptop in front of you as you walk or stand, that won't add to your back problems, or, put your computer on something tall so you can stand and use it and not have to strain your back. A coworker years ago had to have her computer on a drafting table, and she stood most of the time or had a high stool that she could lean her butt against! Hope you find something that works and feel better. Lynn

Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:00 pm

As Lynn said, stand to work on the computer. Less strain on the back. Walking may be painful but it keeps the ligaments and muscles from tightening up which causes more pain. A muscle relaxer is good if your doctor will prescribe one for you. But, really, sitting is the worst thing you can do.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:08 pm

Thinking of you. Take care of that back--both of you need it.

Author of [i]Treasures in the Darkness: Extending Early Stage of LBD...[i][/i] [url]http://www.amazon.com/Treasures-Darkness-Extending-Alzheimers-Parkinsons/dp/1466428228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334092686&sr=8-1[/url]

Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:39 pm

Jeanne,

Sorry I haven't been around and also about your back! Craig's right. Time for an assistive device for the assistive device! I have found it easy to get Mom's chair in the car lately,

And, m'dear, even if you think it is just muscle strain - get it checked out. You could also have strained or jarred something - ortho, spinal, neuro - something like that. After a fall I had a few years ago, I had nasty pain, especially leg pain, myself. Turns out I had a disc completely gone - poof! - disintegrated. It you don't at least check it our with your primary doc and it is more than a bruised muscle, it can become a bigger problem for you, thereby becoming a problem for Coy.

If you're closer to Rochester, you've got a whole slew of doctors to choose from. If you are close to the Cities, I can give a double thumbs up to Tria. Just check it out.

BTW, I can help you out on that computer using when you are walking, riding, standing, sitting, running (well, not so much). Get yourself some voice recognition software. Coy might even enjoy using it. If, if you don't have one already, get a smartphone and download a voice to text app. There are even some free ones out there.

Take care of yourself. Winter is just starting. We've got another 6 months of it to get through.

Kate

Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2