View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Positional, nighttime sore throat? 

Post Positional, nighttime sore throat?
My sister who has had an LBD diagnosis for over 4 years is now experiencing a sore throat every night, including discomfort in her jaws. Once she's up the pain goes away. I've seen postings that mention possible dysphagia, dry mouth and gastric reflux, however, she has no swallowing problems and is adamant that she has no funny taste or burning in her throat.

Could dysarthria cause the symptoms or can anyone think of another cause for a positional, nighttime throat soreness?

Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:02 pm

Post Re: Positional, nighttime sore throat?
Helen,

This does sound like GERD. You probably know that someone can have GERD without dysphagia. One easy possible remedy is to raise the head of the bed or put an extra pillow under the head. That should help prevent the refluxed stuff from coming that far up. Also, stop all food and fluid several hours before bed.

Speak with an MD about the possibility of taking Prilosec before bed to see if that helps....if the pillow and intake adjustments don't solve the problem.

I can't think of how dysarthria would cause these symptoms.

One other option is an allergy to something in/near the bed that might be causing post-nasal drip and throat irritation.

Robin

Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:59 pm

Post Re: Positional, nighttime sore throat?
Robin -

We saw an MD over the weekend because she thought it was something serious.

Currently, we have a pending prescription for famotidine, but she's convinced herself that it can't be GERD. She does sleep with two pillows and the head of the bed has been elevated about 5 inches for several months.

Guess I'll put the famotidine into her pill mix and see what the outcome is.

Thanks.

Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:37 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]