View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 My mom is now on in-home hospice 

Post My mom is now on in-home hospice
Haven't written in a long time but just wanted to tell you all that my mom is now on hospice. We took her to the Dr 2 weeks ago because she could not walk anymore. He said he felt like mom was at the end stages and there is nothing more we can do. He got her on hospice and started taking some of her meds away. She no longer takes Namenda or Aricept. This week he took her off the Sinamet, so far didn't seem to change any. She is sleeping alot more. Some days she refuses to get out of bed. It's been weeks since I could understand anything she was saying. She will talk alot somedays but nothing makes any sence. They put in a cather 2 weeks ago. It was too hard trying to get her on the pot. Some days she just sits and stares. Her doctor said he would come to the home she is at to see her. We are hoping he can tell us more of what is going on. She seems to of stiffened up a lot in the last couple weeks (before discontinueing the sinamet). Somedays she has to be fed. Somedays she eats good others not much at all. She spits out her meds so now they are crushing them. It's been such a long road for my mom. we've been thru alot but seeing her like this is just hear wrenching.
Thank you for listening.
Diana

Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:21 pm

Post Re: My mom is now on in-home hospice
Diana,
I'm sorry to hear that your mom may be nearing the end. I may've mentioned this to you before: we scanned a lot of my dad's old photos in preparation for a celebration of life. We showed a few of the photos to Dad each day. I tried to think up stories about the photos or just make some comment. He had very little energy each day so we just managed a few minutes of time each day for this. I was glad I did it. I also spent a lot of time just reading in the same room as Dad. I hope you can find some comforting things you can do with your mom.
Robin

Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:58 pm

I agree, Robin, the simplest activities will be meaningful later. Even now, I look back at little things I used to do with or for my mother that I can't do anymore, and it is very comforting to remember them.

Diana, I am very sorry to hear about your mother and wish her peace and comfort.

Julianne

Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:10 pm

Thank you both. My son's baby was born Aug 1, she was premature. She is doing great but only weighed 2lbs 8 oz. I show mom pictures everyday I'm there. She mostly stares but one day her eyes lit up and said "Wow Bobbys a daddy". It made me feel good. Just sad that she will probably never get to see her. My daughter was due last week and are waiting for him to arrive. So with so many good things going on it's sad that mom can not enjoy them with us. The simple things do count. My sister always did mom's hair and nails and she still does now. It makes her feel better and we know mom always like to look her best. Thank you again for the advise. Will keep you informed.
Diana

Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:27 am

Diana, I'm glad to hear your new grandbaby is doing OK. Also glad your mother has an enlightened doctor. Wish they all were. God bless you!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:59 am

Congratulations, Grandma!! I've seen enough babies in my family pull through some pretty serious heart issues to know that medical practitioners can work wonders. I look forward to hearing more about your granddaughter.

It seems that baby information is something so interesting that even dementia can't overshadow it. My sister brings her 5 month old grandson to the nursing home and all of the residents on the dementia unit have to meet him and talk about him. Babies seem to break through a lot of barriers.

In our experience, there was no need to hide the baby's condition from his great-grandmother. She proudly pointed to his in-hospital pictures regardless of the tubes and wires attached to him. You, of course, will know whether you can discuss it with your mother. But I just wanted you to know it wasn't a problem in our situation and even helped her understand why she had to wait a couple of months to see him in person.

Best wishes,

Kate

Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:18 pm

Thanks! it is exciting being a grandma again. I have a 3 1/2 year old grandson. His mom is the one due. She went to dr today and if she doesn't go into labor today they will induce tomorrow at 7 am!! When I showed mom the pic of little shelby she had tubes all over but mom didn't say anything about that. I did tell her she will be in hospital for awhile but by then I had lost her attention. I'm going to see her tonight and my son just sent me a new one so hopefully she will enjoy it!.
Thanks again for your thoughts and kind words
Diana

Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:29 pm

Diana,
Sorry for the turn of events in your Mom's life and the picture idea is wonderful, this is what we did also and it was the only thing left as the energy just wasn't there for him anymore but every once in a while I would see a glimmer in his eyes. Your Mom's journey is coming to an end and I will keep her in my thoughts !

Congrats on your New Grand baby, I pray she gets stronger each day !

Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:53 pm
Profile WWW

I now have another grand baby! He was born Saturday. Mom and baby are doing great. I took a picture to mom but she didn't seem to focus. We thought mom was at the end last week-end. She didn't eat for 3 days, only small bites or get out of bed. The hospice nurse came in and said all vitals were good. She felt like it was more the LBD than health. This week she has eaten more and has been drinking a lot. It was so hard to get her to drink anything but now with a staw she downs the glass!! She is sleeping most of the time. When she is awake she whispers to someone we can't see.... She will stare either at the celing or somewhere next to her and just talk. We can't understand what she is saying but alot of the times she is smiling. So hopefully that means she is happy. She was on xanax for the last couple months for anxiety but hasn't had any all week and has remained calm.
So all we can do is contuine onward thru this terrible journey.
Diana

Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:36 am

Diana,
Congratulations on your grandchild!
Robin

Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]