View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Mini Mental Exam Results 

Post Re: Mini Mental Exam Results
Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the nice compliment - you know I read in some pub med abstract I think that creativity is spared in LBD...Sorry can't remember what year or if that was where I read it....

But yes, I have always had a scientific/mathematical side and an artistic side.....but the artistic side is really coming out more and more since I've been ill....

in the last two years I have taken up photography...my husband bought me a nice camera about two years ago and amazingly it takes fairly decent pictures from my perma-chair (that's what I call it :P since I'm in it so much of the time from fatigue) through the window out to the backyard....so I have been able to capture some of the different sun angles on the same objects as that days progresses......

I used to draw but find it hard now, and sew, embroider, dance, play piano, sing and lately sing in the choir, which has been so good for me - (the choir gives me so much joy and I soak up each note of the music! and there's that people contact too even though I am not at all comfortable talking due to insecurities about work finding - fortunately they are all nice and not terribly chatty so it works well - and I guess it's good for the PD and vocal chords)....all those latter things I used to do are more difficult now if not impossible.....but I would enjoy them.....tried painting a few times but I was never good at it - drawing with pencil or ink was always better.....I have been wanting to try again lately with my recent improvement with the Namenda...

Thanks for your encouragement!! Sorry this post is a bit scattered....hope it makes sense.....

Best wishes,

Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:45 pm

Tonya, as an artist and an art teacher, I think it would be truly wonderful and rewarding if you gathered some art materials and drew or do whatever you want to do. I was taking a workshop today and we used these graphite pencils that you could then wash over your drawing with clear water and watercolor brush. It was amazing! Perhaps we should move this topic to "off topic posts." I'd love to converse with you about art. I do enjoy teaching as much as I enjoy painting, and that's saying something, and would be happy to give you any suggestions/guidance/view your work, whatever you'd like. That's wonderful that this side of your brain is functioning so well! Lynn

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:22 pm

Tonya, as an artist and an art teacher, I think it would be truly wonderful and rewarding if you gathered some art materials and drew or do whatever you want to do. I was taking a workshop today and we used these graphite pencils that you could then wash over your drawing with clear water and watercolor brush. It was amazing! Perhaps we should move this topic to "off topic posts." I'd love to converse with you about art. I do enjoy teaching as much as I enjoy painting, and that's saying something, and would be happy to give you any suggestions/guidance/view your work, whatever you'd like. That's wonderful that this side of your brain is functioning so well! Lynn

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:22 pm

I spoke with a neurologist today about when they stop giving these exams. She said that her office protocol is that they stop giving the MMSE and neuropsych exams once it becomes too emotionally painful for the patient to take the exams. She explained that either they directly observe this with the patient or are told this by families.

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:40 pm

Lynn,
I would so love to learn more about art - I have some graphite pencils.....Will move this to off-topic...Thanks SO much!

Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:52 pm

This is good to know as there comes a time that these tests do become extremely painful for the patient and family and serves no purpose!

Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:54 pm
Profile WWW

Craig and Tonya,
I am new to this site as of today. I currently have a bit of a vision problem, but it's being attended to. Eventually, I'll be able to drive again, I think.

I mention this because I spent my first minutes on this site reading your posts. Reading is a bit of a challenge for the moment and I have to limit my online time. But I have been searching for months for online information to help me. I am the long distance (8 hrs away) caregiver for my 83 yr old Mother who is in early stages. Her Mini Mental Exam results were not discussed with me in depth yet, but I know her symptoms and her strengths, too. She is still very capable in many ways.

Reading your posts I have such a rush of reactions, I don't know where to begin. But I want to thank you for the insight you share here. I love Mom and want to do whatever I can to help her. I will likely wear this site out reading all the information and your experiences as I go through this process with Mom.

Thank you for today and in advance for sharing with me as time goes by. I will treasure your gifts and outlooks on life. You are very precious.

Carolyn, daughter of 83 year old Mother in early stages dementia. Diagnosis not specific as of 11/1/11 but LBD suspected. Hallucinations, confusion, judgement problems, and difficulty using every day tools (such as remote) are some noted symptoms.

Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:18 pm

CFollansbee wrote:
Craig and Tonya,
I am new to this site as of today. I currently have a bit of a vision problem, but it's being attended to. Eventually, I'll be able to drive again, I think.

I mention this because I spent my first minutes on this site reading your posts. Reading is a bit of a challenge for the moment and I have to limit my online time. But I have been searching for months for online information to help me. I am the long distance (8 hrs away) caregiver for my 83 yr old Mother who is in early stages. Her Mini Mental Exam results were not discussed with me in depth yet, but I know her symptoms and her strengths, too. She is still very capable in many ways.

Reading your posts I have such a rush of reactions, I don't know where to begin. But I want to thank you for the insight you share here. I love Mom and want to do whatever I can to help her. I will likely wear this site out reading all the information and your experiences as I go through this process with Mom.

Thank you for today and in advance for sharing with me as time goes by. I will treasure your gifts and outlooks on life. You are very precious.

Hello CFollensbee,
Glad you have found this site......I'm glad the posts have been helpful to you....it is so wonderful that you are there for your mother! There are many wonderful people here and I know you will find great support!
Best wishes
Tonya

Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:05 am

Carolyn,
I don't see where you did an intro so I would like to welcome you to the LBDA forums, I am sure you will find the site a useful tool with many things and great support!

Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:41 am
Profile WWW

I am relatively new here also, and so far have mostly just been reading and absorbing all the great information. The Neuropsychologist that did the assessment on my husband spent 4 hours with him. The first three I was in the room at her request, and then she spent the last hour alone with him to see how he did on his own. She then got together all his previous history, MRI's etc. and two weeks later spent almost an hour on the phone with me explaining the results. Therefore I felt we had an excellent idea of what had happened. However, because I was listening intently and trying to comprehend all she was saying there were many questions I thought of later. Reading on the site I have found answers to some of those questions.
One of my biggest ones is this: I am a second wife, although the previous wife and my late husband are both deceased and the four of us were all friends for many many years. My husband had no chlldren of his own, but raised two children of his late wife, with whom we are still very close. Both live a distance away from us. I have had a difficult time getting them to understand that their "Dad" has a problem, and it is just not "getting older". When he is abrupt with them on the phone they feel as if they have done something to anger him. I do agree age plays a part, but having seen this develop over the past few years, it is obvious it is something more. How does one, while trying to make it easier on the children (who are in their early 70's) understand the true situation. My husband would be very upset if he realized how he has at times upset them.

Thanks for the input.

Mary

Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:36 pm

Mary, it might help to download and print some of the brochures from the LBDA files available and give them to your husband's family. HOWEVER--I find that denial is very, very strong among family who are not close to the situation, at least in the earlier stages. And, of course, there is 'showtime', where your LO can pull it together when needed for a limited time, perpetuating the notion that he's really OK. Again, this fails in the later stages. My heart goes out to you in this regard.

On the plus side, it sounds like your husband's neuropsychiatrist is on top of the situation. That's a biggie--getting a good doctor early on. God bless!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:48 pm

Well darn. I typed an answer and then lost it in cyberspace. But it was mostly what Pat said. Denial is common among relatives, and it is pretty hard to overcome that hurdle with persons who simply choose not to acknowledge the disease.

For others who are open but just ignorant, I second Pat's suggestion of sending LBDA material, perhaps highlighting the symptoms that your husband currently displays.

If they visit for several days, that would be revealing too. (A few hours wouldn't help much because of showtiming.)

Even if they are in denial, it would be helpful to keep mentioning doctor visits, meds, behavior changes, etc. When he reaches a point where denial is impossible, at the kids will have been prepared and it shouldn't be a complete shock to them.

Good luck with this challenging situation. (Sometimes luck is exactly what you need most!)

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:08 pm

I think the "newly-diagnosed" brochure by the LBDA is particularly good for newcomers to the LBD world.

What do you hope to accomplish by having these kids better educated about LBD?

Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:14 am

Thanks for the replies. I did make copies of the literature his Neuro gave me and sent to them. I know they read them because they asked a few questions. I truly believe it is just sort of an "out of sight, out of mind" type thing. Denial at it's worst. The son lives 12 hours away, but calls every few days. He is the one that probably is coming around a bit more as his phone conversations were the "curt" ones and he later asked me what he had done for his Dad to be upset with him. That gave me the opportunity to explain he had done nothing , it was the LBD causing the change in his Dd's demeanor. My thinking is I will just keep them updated, telling them I am just keeping them in the loop. Perhaps they will understand sooner or later, but actually I can't do much else. Their Dad and his comfort has to be the primary object.

again thanks for the input.

Mary

Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:41 pm

And to Robin--to answer your question about what I hope to gain by educating them about LBD--it is just so they will better understand that it is not anything they have done wrong to cause their Dad's change in behavior toward them. He does care deeply about them, and he would never want to intentionally hurt them. As a secondary matter, I think the more everyone knows and understands about the disease the better we all could be. Even though I am a retired RN, I had never worked with the dementia patients, and frankly missed my husbands symptoms for a very long time. Perhaps if I had known then what I do now we could have prevented some glitches along the way.

Mary

Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next