View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Does LBD cause higher suceptibility to heat exhaustion? 

Post Does LBD cause higher suceptibility to heat exhaustion?
Coy's golf league does not play if it is raining or the grass is wet or the heat index is more than 90 at 9:00 am. I checked the heat index this morning. It was 73. Off we went.

The round lasts about 2.5 hours. Coy's volunteer brought him in more than a half an hour early. The volunteer was great and upbeat but I could tell there was an undertone of worry. Coy was completely exhausted. "Overcooked noodle" describes him pretty well. He had to have help getting from the cart to the car, couldn't buckle his seat belt, was physically weak as a kitten. The Lewy drip was in full evidence and he kept trying to dig into his pocket under the seat belt. I said, "Do you need a tissue? Here is the box." He said No. "What are you tying to get out of your pocket?" His answer was "snapdragons". But I think I detected a little grin so I'm not sure if he was confused or teasing me.

Off we headed for the 18 mile trip home, me encouraging him to sip more water every few minutes, and the air condiitoner running. With his eyes closed and his head hanging down he kept up a steady stream of muttering. I listened very carefully but expected to hear gibberish. Do you know what he was talking about? Each of his strokes on each of holes he played!! I swear, if a golfer dies on the golf course the first thing he will tell St. Peter is about the great swing he made on hole 7. :lol:

Once home I had to get the wheelchair to get him from the car into the house. With a lot of coaching and help he was able to walk up the two steps from the garage but barely managed to stay standing until I got the wheelchair under him again. The house was nice and cool. He sat in his recliner all afternoon. I put a damp washcloth on his head and encouraged the water drinking. Within a few hours he was able to eat watermelon and ice cream for lunch. Tonight he is back to baseline and feeling fine, and is really amazed at his reaction to the moderate heat of the morning.

Coy has said for years that he dosen't sweat since he got LBD and I think he is right. Does that make it harder for the body to handle heat?

Does anyone know, are LBDers more susceptible to heat exhaustion?

Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:03 am

Post Re: Does LBD cause higher suceptibility to heat exhaustion?
Derek has always been [and still is] able to handle heat very well. However, he doesn't handle cold at all. I think the problem is that their thermoregulatory systems are not functioning well in LBD and they can't compensate. Add to that the problem they have comprehending their physical status and the risk is high for either heat exhaustion or hypothermia. Hope Coy will be OK, Jeanne! It's scary!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:30 am

She hasn't had heat exhaustion but my mother has become extremely intolerant of heat. She wears very light weight clothing, has two fans in her room and still complains bitterly that she is too hot, even though the SNF is air conditioned and we are just having normal temperatures for mid-July. She keeps asking me what has gone wrong with the weather. This is a big change from even a year ago.

Julianne

Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:45 am

My MIL's body cannot regulate itself any more. She will dehydrate quickly and when that happens, she tanks cognitively as well as physically. She will be cold but overheat at the same time. Keep the water flowing. It doesn't take much to overheat.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:57 am

Hi All, You might want to check your LOs meds. Seroquel (quetiapine) specifically mentions avoiding activities that might cause overheating. Kathy

Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:48 am

hubby likes to go out and piddle around in the yard.. but i have noticed time gets away from him and i have to go bring him in for a break.. hes gets exhausted easily out there, now.. and his blood pressure drops to the 60's.. but he doesnt realize it and keeps on pushing himself. hes always been a workaholic.. just cant do 1/10 of what he did before.. and doesnt know when to quit!! the falls he has taken have mostly been out there and when its really hot.. ive been encouraging him to stay in more this summer.. but then he is really lost, with nothing to do.. one of the harder things, right now... is finding him interests.. just roams around all day. or sits and stares.

thanks for the heads up!! ive tried to be careful, but ill be more careful, for sure!!

hope coy is better today..
cindi

sole CG for hubby.1st symptoms, 2000, at 55. Diag with AD at 62, LB at 64.. vietnam vet..100% ptsd disability,sprayed with agent orange, which doubled chances for dementia. ER visit 1-14,released to memory care..

Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:07 pm

Thanks, all.

Coy is better today. And he remembers the episode, so that is helpful in talking about it next time. I expected that his weight would be down today and that he might still be a little dehydrated, but there was no change.

I didn't know that seroquel had that effect. (Or I knew and I'd forgotten.) He's been taking it for so long I don't really think about the side effect possibilities.

I'm not taking Coy out of golf. It is the highpoint of his summer, maybe of his year. But we'll be careful and I'll make sure his volunteer knows to push the water and bring Coy in if it seems to hot for him.

Coy's solution is to get the kind of hat, with the draping to the shoulders, that the French Foreign Legion wore in Africa. I don't think our city happens to have a Foreign Legion Surplus store, though. :lol:

Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:56 pm

I have the opposite reaction with the sweating…I sweat out….once I start…to the point of dehydration…

clothing….

I have been looking into the cooling clothing that MS patients use….cooling vests, hats, scarves~ google….MS patients cooling vests
(with MS the increased body temps cause bad brain activity…..with me….bad brain causes bad temp reaction…..which in turn….probably causes more bad brain activity)

I have no thermal regulation….that autonomic brain region….I also experience the quick blood pressure drops when standing….

I also don't like the cold much anymore either….I am prone to shivering rather quickly….what a mess….

I am sure this explains why most sit in air conditioning and don't do much….it just causes the patient less problems….

can it really be that simple….the staring into space and not moving….a natural reaction to everything being a problem….don't cause self problems….don't move…it may go deeper than that…it might be a self preservation brain ploy….stop everything….don't cause problems…

just rambling….from my perspective….it really is a pain to do anything….everything action comes at a much higher price than it used to...

Craig - Patient - Male - 56 years old - Lewy Bodies diagnosed on March 23, 2011 - cognitive disorder NOS dx 2007 - RBD REM dx 2007 issues for 20+ years - intention tremor 1974 - other issues many years

Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi Jeanne,

It sounds like Coy is much better - I'm sure it was scary - He has such a good attitude about things - getting the foreign legion hat and all :) I too have an awful time with my temperature....I also sweat a lot and have to drink lots of water - usually right after a sweating episode I then get cold - sometimes even chills....those happen most often in the middle of the night - the sweats happen both day and night.....I would say the sweating and getting too hot was one of my earliest symptoms, but could have been my thyroid back then which is supposed to be treated now...some of it could be my age and hormone fluctuations.....I also have to watch certain meds for overheating too...and then there's Lewy - I guess it's all of the above....My feet are always cold no matter what time of year.....I have an extra oscillating fan on me right now, plus the ceiling fan, plus the A/C! Thanks for the tip about cooling vests etc for MS Craig...might check into some of those things - I think they have one for the bed - like a cooling mat....I have noticed more lately that heat sets off my muscle spasms....I guess that is the parkinsons but it didn't do that a year ago....I have used a heating pad on my feet at night for years....since going on the aricept and also since having increasing PD symptoms, the heating pad seems to set off really painful foot spams...now I just try to sleep with cold feet.....
Best wishes to Coy and all of you!

Tonya

' "I try not to worry about the future, but rather to "wonder"....and "wonder" is one step away from "awe" '......From a wise friend........

Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:12 pm

Jeanne,
I don't know if they are more susceptible to heat exhaustion or not but I will say my husband didn't handle the heat to well during his LBD yrs and he also got very cold in the winter more than the normal , seemed like never he was ever warm enough!

Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:36 pm
Profile WWW

Tonya - have you tried sleeping in a nice fluffy pair of socks? It might be a lot more comfortable for you. I have several really thick fluffy pairs I sleep in most of the time. I've had cold feet my whole life!
My dad had the opposite issue with temperature - he got colder and colder. Before he had to move out of his house the A/C wasn't working properly, and it was about 90 in his house one day with the A/C running and running. I had just taken over his finances and household things and I had to order new central air for him since he insisted it be on, his electric bill was unusually high but the house wasn't getting cool. He was furious that I ordered a new central air system! At 85 degrees he was cold and sitting around wearing a sweater! This was before anyone knew how ill he was.
At the ALF he'd want the A/C off in the summer, the heat turned way up in the winter. His poor CGs were sweating every time they had to turn him, lift him, etc.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:10 pm

Yes, Lynn. That's the way Derek is, too! Still wearing his long-sleeved fleece even in 80-degree weather. In fact, if I walk by him quickly he will complain of a 'draft'.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:45 pm

Yes, some LBDers are very susceptible to heat exhaustion. Why? The autonomic system can be dysfunctional. So an LBDer's ability to sweat can be compromised. Sweating is one of the body's key mechanisms to control its own temperature.

There are some articles posted here about the pattern of sweating (or not sweating - called "anhidrosis") in LBD. This sort of dysautonomia is a clinical symptom useful in differentiating LBD from AD.

One approach to this that many in our local support group use is a cold vest. This is a vest that contains slots for frozen ice paks. They work great.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:11 am

Thanks Robin. And a cold vest might be easier to find than a French Foreign Legion desert cap.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:08 pm

You don't really need a French foreign legion cap [although that would look striking :P ]. A lot of people just put a square of cloth on their head under their cap that covers their neck and ears.

Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next