View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Understanding the LBD Diagnostic Criteria 

Post Re: Understanding the LBD Diagnostic Criteria
Re: B12 deficiency causing dementia
This medical article published in 2000 presents two cases of this type of reversible dementia and reviews the literature on the topic:
http://neuro.psychiatryonline.org/artic ... eid=100997

Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:24 pm

You might start a new topic about this so that people can respond if they know something about B12 deficiency.

An LBD caregiver in the local support group also has B12 deficiency. She recently had to place her husband in a care facility because she could no longer deal with her health issues and her husband at the same time. She sent me this fact sheet from the NIH that describes the symptoms of B12 deficiency:

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitaminb12/

Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:32 pm

Thank you very much for the information. Bless you.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm

My husband was diagnosed 12 years ago with early onset Parkinson's and Alzheimer's at the age of 56. LBD was considered as a diagnosis but ultimately was not used as the diagnosis! The last ten years have been rough dealing with the motor and cognition issues.i never really thought he had classic Parkinson's or Alzheimer's though as he didn't seem to meet the criteria for diagnosis. However about 18 months ago he began to
Have severe hallucinations, tactile, visual, auditory, olfactory. While the hallucination are bad enough the paranoia and acting out at night his violent nightmares are worse! The diagnosis of LBD was once again brought up and is now used as his diagnosis. After reading the criteria for diagnosis I have to agree that this is most likely what he has! But what a nightmare we are living in. I don't know what else to say except ask for help and direction in dealing with this diagnosis! I have gotten him placed on Medicare hospice and they are more helpful in providing medications to keep him calm. Thanks for understanding this disease because no one else seems to.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:15 am

We share the nightmare. I'm so sorry you are losing your husband to this horrible disease.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:49 am

Hi Irene

I'm yet another newbie here but thank you so much for posting your list as it has been so helpful.

The neurologist has said that my husband doesn't have AD (no biomarkers in his spinal fluid) and that he has "a rarer form of dementia". His mother was diagnosed with AD, but I have little doubt that she was misdiagnosed, and had LBD. Her sleep disturbance and hallucinations, plus a history of Parkinson's in her family, would lead one towards LBD. Do you know if there is any on-going research into biomarkers for LBD? I realize that we are the 'poor relation' to AD but hope that somebody is doing some research somewhere.

Thanks again

Badietta

Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:33 pm

Janice....I am glad to hear you have enlisted hospice care. Their resources and actions to manage symptoms with a goal of comfort can make this road a bit easier. The horrific nights with acting out those dreams and agitation are heart wrenching. Seroquel and Depakote provided some improvement for my Mom with that issue. Melatonin at hour of sleep was also, I believe, beneficial. I am so sorry that you and your husband are traveling this road. God bless.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:52 am

Welcome to the forum Janice! You can get lots of info here to help you deal with the very strange symptoms this disease can exhibit. If you want to introduce yourself to the forum, post an introduction in the INTRODUCTIONS section. It's a good place to start as it let's everyone know you're new and you'll get feedback from more folks. :)

Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2