View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 64 yr. old - fast decline/death 

Post 64 yr. old - fast decline/death
A woman who lived down the hall from my dad at the ALF (and was from the same town he was), who was only 64 yr. old, diagnosed with AD and possibly LBD, lasted less than 2 mo. at the ALF. She appeared very healthy physically, and for a few min. even seemed mentally ok (I thought she was a friend of my dad's I didn't know when she came into his room several times to see him). After about 6 wk. in the ALF she completely lost it, tearing out her hair, destroying everything in her room, had to be moved to a psychiatrist hospital. She lived there about 6 mo. and died a few weeks ago.
I was under the impression that people with AD usually lived for many years. Has anyone ever heard of this rapid decline? Through a mutual acquaintance we were told she had been diagnosed with AD about a year before she was moved to the ALF. Lynn

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:00 pm

Post Re: 64 yr. old - fast decline/death
I guess she could have had both. And, who knows? Maybe somebody at the psychiatric hospital put her on Haldol or Risperdal which can be fatal in LBD.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:06 pm

She was pretty young. She may have had Fronto-temporal Dementia. That hits a younger crowd and it is fast moving. Nan

Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:44 pm

As soon as I hear "rapid decline," I think of CJD.

As always, the only way to know for sure is through brain autopsy. Suspected CJD brains are handled in special ways due to the possibility of contagious tissue.

Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:10 pm

I was so shocked when I heard that she had to be moved to the psychiatric hosp., and then died a few months later. Every time I saw her at the ALF she was well groomed, dressed nicely, and she walked briskly up and down the hallways. I thought she was the daugher of someone there, till she walked into my dad's room and I greeted her, introduced myself and asked her her name. She didn't know her name, why she was in my dad's room, etc. It was so incredibly sad and shocking to see someone so young and so healthy looking not know who she was or where her room was. Lynn

Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]