View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 fevers in late LBD 

Post fevers in late LBD
My husband is probably in the late stages of LBD and is now experiencing mostly low-grade fevers several times a week. Occasionally it will go over 100 which sends him into near delirium. He gets a Tylenol supp when this occurs. It also seems to accompany long hours of no sleep and he gets totally exhausted. His mind is 'wired.' He does NOT have a UTI, but I'm guessing he is probably having small lung infections from aspirating. Swallowing is becoming much more difficult. He is under Hospice care but they don't know about the fevers either.

Has anyone's lo had these symptoms?

"Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud."

Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:24 pm

Post Re: fevers in late LBD
Dale's head sweats constantly and his hands are ice cold. The nurse was here today and said, "Is that why you have a towel under his head?"

The answer is yes. I was tired of changing and washing sweat out of pillow slips. Dale is in Palliative Care.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:36 pm

My guess is that these fevers have nothing to do with LBD but have to do with some infection going on. I think your guess about a lung infection is right. These fevers happen often to people in the last stages of life. (I'm surprised hospice doesn't know about them.) We commonly hear about delirium from the fever, and swallowing problems. It may be that he will lose the ability to swallow soon.

I hope that your husband's passing is peaceful....when ever it comes.

Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:56 pm

My dad had fevers the last few weeks before he died. Of course, he did have an infected pressure sore, that he'd had for at least a year. It got badly infected about 2 - 3 weeks before he died. But the fever was up and down, and his last few days he did not have a fever. Interesting, since he still had the pressure sore and they were no longer administering antibiotics.
The hospice nurse had told me months earlier that unexplained fevers often happened just before people died. I, too, am surprised that the hospice folks didn't tell you this. Ask for their pamphlet on death - it gives list of symptoms from several months to several weeks to days/hours before death. I found it very helpful.
So sorry you are going through this, Lynn

Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:40 pm

It could be the thermoregulatory system breaking down. When we consider how our Lewy LOs get cold hands or feet and hot faces while maintaining a normal temperature, we can see that the body is still functioning to keep the core temperature [where the vital organs live] normal at the sacrifice of the extremeties, just as happens in shock. But even this compensatory mechanism can break down just prior to death.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:08 pm

Thanks for everyone's responses. I have since talked with our trusted neurologist and she agrees that the fevers are probably 'silent aspiration' infections. She says they can be treated and that sometimes Hospice considers this palliative because it's making him more comfortable. However, I think I am not going to go that route with him at this point. We are also discontinuing most of the 'dementia' drugs like Excelon, Namenda and his antidepressant. The neurologist says that most of the neural targets are really not there any more and I don't want to keep trying to get pills down him when he's having the swallowing difficulties.
I, too, am praying for a peaceful passing, but he seems to be a fighter. I'm supposed to go away in another week for a family trip which I desperately need, but I'm so conflicted now since he seems to be noticeably declining. It's been a tough week.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:13 am

Jackie, I am so sorry for you and your husband. At this point, there probably are no 'right' or 'wrong' answers about what steps to take. You will be in my prayers.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:40 am

Jackie,
It may be that your husband is waiting for you to leave so that he can die. These things are hard to know.
Robin

Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:54 am

I keep wondering if that's what my dad did - waited to see us one more time, didn't want to talk with his grandchildren on the phone his last few days, then waited till we left to die. You never know, but there are many people I know who experienced the same thing with LOs. Lynn

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:25 pm

I think you are right, Lynn. The hospice nurse actually told my dad to leave the room for a while when my step-mother was dying because the nurse felt that she would hang on as long as he was there. Finally he did and she was gone within 15 minutes. The mother of a colleague of mine was dying but hanging on, and her hospice nurses told the family to give her permission and say it was okay to let go, because they wouldn't leave her bedside. So they did and very shortly, she finally let go. Maybe it's not that way in every case, but these stories are very powerful.

Julianne

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:31 pm

I have posted this before--sorry for the repeat--but when I was taking care of my father, who was dying from melanoma, I had been up at one point for 48 hours and finally went to bed. My brother and sister sat up with him. An hour later, my brother came into my room and told me Dad had died. I was devastated but I realized later that he probably didn't want to die on 'my watch' because he would be letting me down.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:53 pm

That could very well be, Pat. I know it was hard for my dad to leave my stepmother, but it turned out to be a kindness to her because she let go. Same thing with your dad, I think.

Julianne

Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:59 pm

Thanks again, everyone. My LO is now at 24 hs. plus of 'wakefulness'. No matter what I give him, nothing settles down his wired brain. Constant conversations with 'others', but not much recognition of me. I tried Seroquel, double doses of Melatonin, and even a small dose of morphine. I don't know how long he can maintain this wakefulness. Hospice has been wanting to go the Ativan route, but I don't know how comfortable I am with that. He's exhausted.....and so am I. I'll call Hospice again this morning.

Jackie

Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Jackie, I think I would go with what Hospice recommends at this point. Hopefully you both will get some rest. God bless!

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:01 pm

Post 'wakefulness'
latebloom wrote:
No matter what I give him, nothing settles down his wired brain. Constant conversations with 'others', but not much recognition of me.
What you wrote is so very familiar here. I think Dale is afraid to sleep lest he won't wake up again. We had three nights in a row of constant talking for four hours... but last night, he slept and he was sleepy this morning until about 9 am. I'm so grateful!

Last night, I gave Dale Seroquel 50 mg, Xanax .05 mg, and Gabapentin 150 mg. After about an hour of holding his hand and playing soft music, I got him to close his eyes and try to sleep.

Dale is fully delusional all of the time with constant hallucinations. He is in Palliative Care. This morning, he is trying to get out of bed to do his international taxes.

Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next