View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Case study - what disorder does this man have? 

Post Case study - what disorder does this man have?
A local support group member emailed this to me. It's a Medscape case presentation that clinicians use for continuing medical education.

Of the people (some must be clinicians and lots must be laypeople) who have taken the single question quiz on the first page, only 26% have gotten the correct answer. Why don't you give it a try?

Of the people who have taken the two-question quiz on the second page, 85% got the correct answer on the first question and only 58% got the correct answer on the second question.

You can see the case presentation online (and take the quiz) on Medscape but you have to register first. (There's no charge.)

The one interesting item for me in this case study was that the authors suggested that DLB is not levodopa-responsive (Sinemet). Perhaps it's as with other atypical parkinsonism disorders where some small percentage of those do see benefit from Sinemet for a short period of time.

Robin

http://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/736 ... _case_nl_0

Hallucinations and Episodic Altered Mental Status in a 72-Year-Old Man
Medscape CME, Released: 01/26/2011

Elena Cecilia Rosca, MD, PhD; Simu Mihaela, MD, PhD; Chirileanu Ruxanda Dana, MD, PhD
Department of Neurology, University of Medicine and Pharmacy "Victor Barbes," Timisoara, Romania

Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:18 pm

Post Re: Case study - what disorder does this man have?
Interesting. I'm glad to know that the participants weren't limited to clinicians. It is pretty scary to see that almost half didn't know which drug to avoid, even after just reading it!

Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:52 pm

Post Re: Case study - what disorder does this man have?
That is interesting about the Sinemet. Everything I've read suggests that many with LBD who have PD symptoms will respond, at least initially, to levodopa/carbidopa.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]