View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Brain autopsy 

Post Re: Brain autopsy
robin wrote:
The *only* way an MD can know that he/she got the diagnosis right or wrong is if there's autopsy confirmation. I feel confident that all the MDs who diagnosed LBD but now see that it was AD or mixed dementia (AD plus VaD, usually) think twice before giving an LBD diagnosis to a patient. As MDs learn more about the clinical-pathological correlations, their diagnostic accuracy will increase. An important step that enables those clinical-pathological correlations is brain autopsy.

Are delusions and hallucinations a symptom common to all those diagnosed with possible LBD .... Do you know, Robin? I just read the post of someone who said their spouse did not have hallucinations. It is a primary symptom in our house.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:53 am

The LBDA lists hallucinations and delusions as 'core features' in their Symptoms/diagnostic criteria guidelines:
http://www.lbda.org/category/3438/symptoms.htm

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:28 pm

Hallucinations is a core feature. ("Core" doesn't mean required.) Delusions is a supportive feature.

You might've read a post I wrote awhile back about a local support group member who was clinically diagnosed with DLB but had PSP upon brain autopsy. The person had no hallucinations.

Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:45 pm

I got my Mother's brain autopsy report today. It was "diffuse Lewy Body disease". And nothing else, for which I am grateful.

The Final Diagnosis is:
1. Clinical history of cognitive impairment with hallucinations/delusions approximately five years.
A. Marked substantia nigra neuronal loss and depigmentation.
B. Mid brain and occasional cortical Lewy bodies identified.
C. Finding consistent with diffuse Lewy body disease.

2. No significant gross brain atrophy present.

3. Negative for vascular thrombosis, significant atherosclerosis, cerebral infarction, encephalitis, granulomatous disease, other neurodegenerative disorders or malignancy.

In the summary, the neuropathologist goes on to say " examination reveals occasional senile plaques and granulovacuolar degeneration in Hippocampal neurons, below the threshold to consider Alzheimer's disease seriously."

I was sure that her disease was Lewy Body, but I am glad that I followed through with an autopsy. It means a lot to me to know what we fought. I had the opportunity to view the tissue slides under a microscope with the doctor, who explained what we were seeing. The brain tissue was so abnormal it makes me proud of her that my LO did so well for so long.

The brain was not donated as no-one wanted it in WA State, but I will check with the local universities to see if I can find someone who can use the slides. Thank you to everyone who helped me so much through this journey. I literally checked the website every day for years. Take care and good luck to all. AnnieN

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:20 pm

Annie - glad you got the answers that you needed. May your mom rest in peace. Lynn

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:56 pm

Thank you for the report, Annie. We're using the same neuropathologist [I think] that you did and he told me he will use the tissue for research 'if the pathology is interesting'.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:27 am

AnnieN,

Thanks for letting us know your mom had DLBD. Having DLBD without AD is unusual. It's a shame no one in your state was interested in the brain donation. (I find it incredible that the UofWA wasn't interested.)

I've been helping another family today read/understand the neuropathology report they received. It's frustrating that neuropathologists don't use the same approach. Did your mother's report indicate the "likelihood" of clinical DLB? (The neuropathologist would've relied on this table in the neuropathological criteria for DLB -- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/article ... /table/T2/)

Good luck to you!

Robin

Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:57 am

Annie, Thank you for your mom's report. I, as you, want to know what we were fighting and what brought so much sadness for the last 8 years. I will also post when I get Frank's results.
Thanks again,
Gerry

Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:37 am

I haven't been following the brain donation or autopsy threads because Mom has very specifically stated "no donation" and I can't afford an autopsy. But I have a kind of off the wall question.

If an autopsy is done and someone who loved the deceased very much helped them to gently leave this world, wouldn't an autopsy show it? Would a brain autopsy?

Don't get me wrong. I am not planning anything. But this is a question that has occurred to me more than once.

Kate

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:30 pm

The answer is "probably no." If someone was helped out with extra doses of morphine, for example, that wouldn't show up on a cellular analysis of brain tissue. A toxicology report is not done on the brain tissue. If someone was helped out by some means that triggered a stroke, then certainly the stroke would appear but it would be impossible to determine the exact time frame.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:07 pm

Thanks, Robin!

Now, do you know of any way to get someone else to pay for an autopsy short of ignoring the deceased's wishes about brain (or anything else) donation? With Mom's family history, it would be helpful to have the results of a brain autopsy, but I want to honor her wishes to be cremated - whole and all at one time. And I really can't afford the autopsy. (Luckily, Mom's still physically healthy-ish.)

Kate

Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:23 pm

Kate, I don't see how you can both honor your mother's wishes and have a brain autopsy done. Not that you asked but I would choose to honor her wishes even if it means never knowing for sure. JMHO, of course, and given affectionately.

Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:47 pm

Kate,

There is only one place I know of that offers free autopsies to everyone BUT (a) the brain is kept for research, and (b) it takes about 18 months to receive the report. If that's of interest, see the University of Miami's website here:
http://brainbank.med.miami.edu/

Harvard does free autopsies for a few diagnoses, but DLB is not one of them. Also, the brain is kept for research.

Robin

Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:50 pm

Kate,
Also....if you don't want the brain to be reserved for research, check with your local hospital. Some may be willing to do the brain autopsy at no charge (and then the brain is destroyed). If possible, find a hospital with a neuropathologist on staff. Otherwise, I'm not sure I'd trust the findings!
Robin

Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:02 pm

I'd also want to honor my LO's wishes, but what about the LO's who are living, Grandchildren, their children, their children and etc. Dr's always want the health history of our family, cancer, heart problems, high blood pressure, knowing what a LO died with might be just as important. I haven't been faced with honoring or not, so it's just my feelings at this point.

Take Care,
Gerry

Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3