View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 sleeping 14 hours a day 

Post Re: sleeping 14 hours a day
:lol: Now that's funny. And good luck getting him to use it regularly. They really don't remember why they're supposed to. :cry:

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:25 pm

I'm just very thankful that he can't get up during the night. It's one of the blessings of the catheter! I can't imagine the horror of having him fall and hurt himself like Del. Awful.

Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:31 pm

It's Nan...checking in with you. Del has had two additional falls since getting outof the ER. One fall yesterday afternoon, but I had the gait belt on hm and was able to control the fall. then in the night (he went to bed at 7 pm) he fell at the foot of his bed, but that was also a soft fall as he had thrown all the bedding on the foor and had fallen on that. He said he was cold so he took all of his clothes off and threw the covers off the bed. I put a diaper back on him and got him in bed with multiple covers on him and he was asleep in 30 seconds. Slept until I woke him as we had to get to a followup appointment for his ER visit.

Have any of you ever heard of anyone doing the opposite of what they want? He was cold, so he took his clothes off and the bedding off the bed. When I say go right, he goes left. And he's not trying to be oppositional. He really is trying to do what I want him to do. If I say look up when I am shaving him, he looks down at the floor. Those neural impulses must really be screwed up for him.

We have an ortho consult tomorrow for his shoulder.

He is sleeping now. He's maybe only up 6 hours a day now. Something is moving really rapidly.

Thanks for all who gave me their condolences on another thread. What would I do without you all?

Smiles, Nan

Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:06 pm

Post Re: sleeping 14 hours a day - doing the opposite
Yes, Nan.... Dale is cold so he wants a drink with ice in it. He is warm so he puts warmer clothing on. He is cold so he wants less blanket..... A lot of that happens at our house.

I'm sorry for the falls. My dad fell often but he was a short man so he never really hurt himself. My mother had two major falls and each time, she broke a hip. (Both were after Dad died and she was living alone.) I worry that Dale will fall now... and I remind him to use the walker. That's like talking to the air sometimes.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:14 pm

Same at our house, Leone. Trying to get Del to remember to use the walker is an exercise in futility, too. Lots of things you are now talking about with Dale we have been going through. We don't have a lot of the anxiety and paranoia that you talk about with Dale, but we do have increased hallucinations and delusions. He often speaks in words that have no relationship to the topic. For example, if you ask him if he wants toast or a waffle, he might reply, "79 degrees." Difficult to carry on a conversation with those responses. And, his physical symptoms overshadow all the rest. Sounds as if you are just coing up on all of this. Welcome to my world. Said, sadly for us all. Nan

Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:22 pm

Nan - "Coming up to my world..." :lol: I'm not sure if this is UP or DOWN....

I only know that this all happened in one week! Dale has been getting more and more delusional - but all these other symptoms like wide blood pressure variations and inability to stand without great difficulty seemed to develop suddenly.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:53 pm

I am so sorry, Leone. This is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life and I know you feel the same. You can do 150 percent and it isn't enough. You can do 250 percent and it isn't enough. Lewy wins. We all knew this with our minds, but we didn't know it with our hearts.

Nan

Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:16 pm

Yes, Nan... When I was a young woman, my friends talked about giving birth and some had an easy time whereas others said it was awful. My mother said giving birth to me was the worst experience of her life - but it ended with the happiest day in her life.

The difference between Lewy and giving birth .. is that giving birth, although usually painful, is over in such a comparatively short time - and we usually take home a beautiful baby.

Lewy just goes on and on.... day after day..... getting worse and worse - and it doesn't have a happy ending (unless you consider the end of pain a happy outcome). The grinding every-day-ness gets to all of us in one way or another. Hard? Yes, it is. And, as you say, Lewy wins.

I read this to Dale and he said, "...and I want to shout and scream...." We all hurt....

Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:07 pm

Sadly Lewy always wins in the end ! :cry:

Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:31 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3