View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Spontaneous Vomiting 

Post Re: Spontaneous Vomiting
You are wise to get counseling now. I hope it helps you.

Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:20 pm

I'm glad you are taking care of you. The support groups I belong to have helped me so much the past 18 months. I've made some wonderful friends who have helped me immensely. I did see a social worker a few times, who works at our local memory center, and she was very helpful as well since she works with families of memory care patients every day. She was great.
Your dad may be in denial until there is a crisis, but is there something YOU can do now to check into possible ALFs? You may not need to sign papers, but if you at least know which would be the best for your mom (and your dad) you could get lots of the data collecting done now before it is a crisis. In some areas there are waiting lists, so that is really important to consider.
When my dad became completely unable to walk, stand, use his arms, etc. that happened overnight and he was put in the hospital after landing on the floor at 5 am, in a house by himself. He was never able to return home at all. You don't want to be in that position with no place for your mom to go and all that work to be done while you're dealing with her in the hospital.
Anything you can do ahead of time, even if you don't tell your dad about it, will only save you a lot of grief later on. Lynn

Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:32 pm

Hi,

I had cyclic diarrhea, lethargy and fever as a child that happened monthly. I now thing it was hormonally related. I am investigating if it is possible that what I had may present as cyclic vomiting in others.

I think I may know the mechanism of my disorder which I think probably caused the above in me and dementia and Parkinson's in my dad and symptoms of dementia and Parkinson's in my dad and to a lesser extent me.
It is a long shot that your mother has the same disorder as me. If your family have a history of joint laxity and under-bites, what I have may be relevant to you. If you don't, ignore this or if you want to be thorough get serum amino acids checked and look for low ornithine. If you think it might apply to your mother, let me know and I can give you more information to give to a doctor.

There is a possibility I have found an effective treatment. It is predicted to reverse the metabolic derangement that I think causes the disorder in me, though I have not tried it yet.

With best wishes,

Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:52 am

SandwichMom:
I apologize for taking so long to post but I have had a password problem for the past week. Finally solved. My husband has this spontaneous vomiting problem. For him, so far it may happen once a month. He also feels no nausea. And yes we have had the problem in a couple of restaurants. Unpleasant surprise for the waiter.

I think it is all in his throat. Something, a sip of water, carbonation from a coke, a scratchy piece of food sets off some mild coughing. I also think it can be from a buildup of mucus in the throat probably related to his drooling. If I can get him to put down his fork, spit out what is in his mouth (otherwise he would try to keep eating), blow his nose a few times and just relax for a few minutes we can sometimes prevent the vomiting. Which is good to do since it tends to exhaust him. I don't know if your father can get this to work with your Mom.

Personally, I don't think she needs an MRI (but what do I know) because when I told the neurologist he didn't seem to be particularly alarmed. And since there is no nausea I don't see what an anti-nausea pill would do but I guess you can try it. My husband did this a few times before he was prescribed the Exelon patch so in his case it wasn't that. I just look at it as another nasty Lewy Body surprise.
Ann

Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2