View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 feeling faint after eating 

Post feeling faint after eating
A friend on the spouses forum sent me a link to merchmanuals.com that describes Dale's tendency to feel extremely faint and dizzy after a meal. It is entitled Postprandial Hypotension. I thought I'd pass it on in case others might find it as helpful as I did.

It gives several suggestions to avoid the apparent drop in blood pressure he has had especially after breakfast for a couple of days. It is actually a very basic idea ... :| and perhaps obvious to the trained professional but we are not trained. Extreme dizziness seemed unusual and out of character for Dale at this point. We both became alarmed.

I hope it helps someone as it did us.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Post Re: feeling faint after eating
Right, this is why I suggested that your husband's fainting (and technicolor experience) after eating was caused by postprandial hypotension. A smart MD (or RN) knows how to test someone's BP for OH.

You might be referring to this Merck Manuals document:
http://www.merckmanuals.com/professiona ... h069d.html

A very basic suggestion is to eat smaller meals. Also, not standing up immediately after eating. (However, many faint sitting at the table!) Like with dealing with OH, it's a good idea to drink a large glass of water before standing up as water is the best thing to help the body regulate its BP.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:41 pm

This is a good basic explanation of OH and how to manage/treat it:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1944

Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:44 pm

Post Re: feeling faint after eating - Robin
This is the article we read.

http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/sec03/ ... h023d.html

I understand they are essentially the same condition.

Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:58 pm

I stand corrected. One is a condition after eating. The other is caused by standing. Either or both could be a problem.
But I'm a musician..... what do I know? :P

Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:23 pm

OH and postprandial hypotension are the same basic problem -- drastic drop in BP. They are both problems in PD and other neurodegenerative diseases.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:51 am

Post feeling faint after eating - more
After reviewing what I've written in previous postings, I'm aware that this symptom is becoming a pattern in our experience of Lewy. On Sunday, Dale was too faint after breakfast to do anything but go back to bed for the morning. We barely got him there.

On Monday, he was just fine... and back to 'his normal.' I took him to a lab for blood tests. His blood pressure was back up and he had a great day.

However, this morning - again after breakfast, he had almost a complete collapse. The blood pressure drops are dramatic. It seems unrelated to meds or food.

We have no choice but to take one day at a time. :cry:

Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:00 am

Leone, I'm not on often but saw this post.
My mom has dealt with OH for many years with lbd. Nothing helped, meds or chances is daily routine. It continues to progress. She faints (collaspes) all the time whenever we move her. Her BP can be so low it won't register than be normal or high. After a couple of years of taking her BP and stressing over it all I stopped taking it and just deal with moving and supporting her the best we can. She still get up most days and when restless with "lewy" days still insist on walking a few steps. 91 yrs and atleast 8 yrs with lbd and she doesn't want to quit!!! Over the years I learned to roll with all the flacuations and not to over react to any of it, tomarrow it might chance.

Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:31 am

Post Re: feeling faint - inappropriate falling to sleep
I renewed this topic in order to add that Dale has a long history of falling to sleep at inappropriate times. Now I'm wondering if that is related to his sudden fainting now. He has always had low blood pressure.

Every one knows that some people fall to sleep during sermons when they have not had enough sleep ... but Dale always did. He fell to sleep during boring social conversations and it was unrelated to the amount of sleep he had the night before.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:21 am

Before he was treated for sleep disorders, Coy fell asleep at meetings, at concerts, and once waiting for a stop light to change (he was driving). When we purchased a new mattress he fell soundly asleep on the display model while I was paying for it. I think that being able to fall asleep quickly is a blessing. (I wish I could.) But that was carrying a good thing way too far! He still sleeps easily, but the sudden falling asleep inappropriately cleared up with RBD treatment. Has Dale had other sleep problems over the years?

Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:02 am

Yes, Jeanne... Dale was as sleep-walker. He once crossed the street in the middle of the night and the neighbors brought him back home. Another time, he walked off the long end of our bed. He fell hard and I thought he had hit the dresser but he was lucky and was not injured. He has always acted out his dreams. As far as I know, he was never treated for it.

In fact, when he started major delusions and hallucinations in February of 2009, I thought it was just an extension of his sleep walking... but this was more serious. He was involving me in involved story lines that were frightening.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:11 am

Quote:
when he started major delusions and hallucinations in February of 2009, I thought it was just an extension of his sleep walking

In a sense, it could very well be an extension of his undiagnosed/untreated sleep disorder. Researchers now feel that RBD may be a precursor to LBD. That is how Coy was diagnosed correctly and promptly with LBD -- he was being followed for his sleep disorder by a psychiatrist/researcher who knew this and recognized Coy's symptoms immediately.

Researchers hope that with such a long period between the early warnings of RBD and the onset of LBD, any preventative measures they can develop can be well-targeted to the at-risk population. It is too late for Dale and Coy, but wouldn't that be a blessing for future generations? Coy is very proud of his directive to donate his brain for research, and every time we travel he asks if I have his health care directive along!

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:27 am

Post sleep walking as related to Lewy Body
It would be good IF early treatment would be effective. I don't know of any early treatment that prevents this sort of disease. Look at Michael J. Fox and all the money they've spent in research.

I'd also like to know the relationship between Dale's disease and his son's bipolar disease. (He died in prison two years ago. We feel fortunate that he didn't cause anything like the Arizona shootings. He could have during an episode. He beat up two sheriffs and knocked down a nurse with his car.)

Dale's granddaughter is autistic. Are all these related? Obviously, no one knows.

Dale has also had surgery for melanoma. His skin is highly sensitive. At the age of five, a large portion of his plumbing was removed because of a blockage. He has had two rotator cuff surgeries and a broken foot that was never set so he wears two sizes of shoes. He is a real Calamity Jane.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:42 am

Dale may be a real calamity joe in some aspects of his life, but think how lucky he has been in his choice of of you as his mate! 8)

Yes, there are no preventative measures available now. But that is what research is about. I credit Coy's early treatment for getting him out of that hideous first bout of all-symptoms-at-once-and-very-severe. Without that early intervention, who knows if he ever would have settled into the more managable early stage? So I am hopeful about future advances in understanding the brain.

Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]