View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Symptom... sweating head and cold hands 

Post Symptom... sweating head and cold hands
It has been a week since you gals suggested that I use a towel under Dale's head to cope with his sweating. I just wanted you to know what a blessing that has been. He loves the comfort of it and I can easily change it. I didn't think he would like the warmth of a towel - but he doesn't mind.

Just a few minutes ago, I checked him resting on the bed and his cheeks were pink, his head was wet and sticky, and his hands were absolutely ice. That seems so strange - and incongruous. I asked him if his hands felt cold and he said they did not.

It's a strange disease.

Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:30 pm

Post Re: Symptom... sweating head and cold hands
Leone,
I'm glad my suggestion of a cotton towel under the head worked for your husband.
Robin

Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:52 pm

I know just what you mean! The past few days my dad has complained of being hot. He hasn't been hot in a decade!!! I uncover his arms from the flannel sheet and blankets and his arms are so hot to the touch, yet his hands feel frozen. How can that be? He even wanted me to turn on the AC yesterday!!! Usually, even in summer he likes his room in the low 80s. His temp has hovered between 97.5 and 99.5 during this time.
I cut some of his pullover shirts down the back, so we could just slip his arms in the shirt arms, thinking he'd be cold, as usual, just dressed in a hospital gown (you know those really fashionable pieces of clothing!). Since it hurts to have a shirt put on now, I thought that would be a great idea so he'd look at feel more dressed and be warmer. Instead, I'm cranking the AC down in the high 60s. Go figure.... Lynn

Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:20 pm

I have a small arthritis pack I heat in the microwave so my MIL can hold it in her hands (which are always like ice) but it doesn't impact the rest of her body. Seems to work well.

Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:33 am

Tonight, for a brief period, Dale complained of a very hot head. His hands were like ice. He wanted a glass of ice water .... and it's been really cold here in Florida.

His sitting blood pressure (which was 136 over 79 this morning) was 142 over 89. After a few minutes of sitting calmly, it went down to 124 over 85.

Is the 'hot flash' related to the increase in blood pressure? Is it typical of Lewy? His normal blood pressure used to be low - around 111 over 78.

By the way, his standing blood pressure readings have been in the range of 105 over 74.

Can anyone educate me on what this means?

Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:38 pm

If you take his standing BP right after his sitting BP and the systolic [top number] drops 10 or more mmHg it means he has 'postural' [orthostatic] hypotension and could get dizzy or even faint upon standing.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:49 pm

yep, Fran the same he is always wanting to hold my hands because his are so cold. I tell him that we are not dating anymore and give him a warm hot water bottle. For his sweaty head I have one of those Tyco Versa-Pac that I keep in the freezer, I like it as it remains soft and squishy. I wrap in a small towel and wha la there you have it. Bernie's magic. No wonder I am his honey bun putz. Bernie

Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:46 pm

One thing it means is that your husband should be very careful when he walks.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:31 am

Dale is never content these days with the temperature. He is either too hot or too cold. I generally keep the house about 70 degrees but most nights, he wants the ceiling fan on when he goes to bed. He never uses a blanket. He wants only a sheet.

He has a light weight sweat suit jacket that goes on and comes off all day. He frequently asks for ice water even when he is cold enough to wear the jacket. It's very confusing.

This afternoon, he wanted a 'smoothy' and then wasn't hungry for dinner.

Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]