View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Question about hallucinations 

Post Question about hallucinations
When hallucinations begin, are they constant at first, or just episodes which gradually worsen?
My husband has a possible LBD dx from his neurologist with sleep disorder, Parkinsonism, tremors and slight snuffing gait, slight rigidity, dizziness. He also describes feeling "shaky" several times during the day with a feeling of pressure in the back of his head. Other than that, so far no visions.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:39 pm

Post Re: Question about hallucinations
Patty, my husband's hallucinations were [and are] episodic rather than constant. He has been seeing other people in our house for three years. He can often describe these people in detail. Since he's been taking Seroquel, his sense of other people being in the house seems more like delusions than hallucinations, in that they are not so vivid, if that makes any sense. But he still thinks there is a whole crowd of people here and this seems to be a common thread with others, too.

He also experiences feeling 'shaky' and often will have very cold hands and a hot face during this shaky feeling. Other times, his hands will be very warm and his face cool. His neuro believes it's part of the autonomic nervous system dysfunction. He has never complained about pressure on the back of his head but does have headaches that are relieved with Tylenol.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:50 pm

Hi Patty - others here have WAY more experience with LOs who have hallucinations and I'm sure will chime in. My dad has had few hallucinations in the 18 mo. that he has become so ill. Once in a while he sundowns - late in the afternoon he may see strange things and ask "why is the tv on the ceiling?" or "who took the door off its hinges and laid it on its side?" or "the clock says it's five hundred seventy-five, does that mean it's time for dinner?" It first happened the day of his "big decline" when he was hospitalized. It happened suddenly, lasted for about 20 min., then stopped. That seems to be his pattern. This does not even happen once a month, so it is possible that your LO may not have many hallucinations either, and let's hope that is the case. Lynn

Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:51 pm

Patty,

In our local support group, hallucinations might occur at different times throughout the day but there are also long periods during the day (or several days) where there are no hallucinations.

Did the "pressure in the back of the head" symptom get mentioned to the neurologist? I was wondering if NPH had been considered.

Robin

Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:04 pm

I want to mention that Hallucinations can also come in other forms besides the visual, could be hearing , sensory, and smell.
I thought for a long time my husband didn't have Halluciantions for a long time too and then he constantly complained of bad smells and I looker further into it and sure enough thats what he smell issues were.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:23 pm
Profile WWW

Irene, you are so right! Years before his other Lewy symptoms showed up my husband was having olfactory hallucinations. He'd smell something that wasn't there, or confuse a smell with something else. In other instances he seemed unable to smell things at all.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:41 pm

Post Re: Question about hallucinations - sense of smell
I had no idea that Dale's total absence of sense of smell and limited sense of taste were early signs. I also think now that his lack of mechanical aptitude may have been an early sign. (He had no problem reading the fine print of a legal document but he couldn't put a child's bike together. He had no interest in any kind of puzzles.)

His early hallucinations were a horrible extension of his sleep walking. The difference was the sense of terror and paranoia he had. And he wouldn't wake up.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:03 pm

Now that some of you mentioned other types of hallucinations, I guess that's what's been happening to my dad. I never thought about it that way, but even his favorite foods in the world "taste horrible", "taste like *&^%". Then he won't eat anything during those times, even chocolate or Coca Cola, his all-time favorites. Lynn

Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:57 pm

Patty,
My husband's hallucinations were sporadic at first, mostly involving other people living in our house, although none seemed a threat. He has some sort of hallucination all day now, unless he is eating, then I'm pretty sure they stop. The good news is that he seems to get a lot of chuckles out of whatever it is he sees and talks to. I always wonder if he can 'steer' the direction the hallucinations are going, I know they are sometimes loved ones. I also know that sometimes he finds it much more interesting than me, I cannot pull him out of it even by putting my face right in front of his and gently calling his name. He'll look right past me and continue with his other conversation. Who'd have guessed? Sher

Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:27 am

Post Re: Question about hallucinations - Sher
Sher - I would like to trade your 'happy hallucinations' for Dale's non-stop 'they are going to do harm to us' style hallucinations. Dale is always involved in some 'meeting.' "They" has become his most frequently used word. He is absolutely terrified that everything will be taken from us. We have to go somewhere to get away from 'them.' We need to lock all the doors. We need to hide things from 'them.' He sees 'them' and their wives... and sometimes 'their' children in our bedroom.

Yesterday, he took a small bottle of homeopathic pills and hid it in another larger bottle of pills and then hid that in the medicine chest. I would have never found it. He looked for it and finally remembered where he had hidden it. Obviously, "they" were going to take it away from him.

Today, we 'need' Mexican passports. (It's not going to happen.)

Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:56 am

I just read this article again about dementia and hallucinations. It was helpful to me and I thought it might be helpful to others. It seems to have the authority of Oxford in U.K.

http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/vob/alzhei ... ations.htm

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:10 pm

That's a good article, Leone. The last sentence really got my attention. I remember a couple of years ago at a dementia support group [run by the Alzheimer's Assn.] we were given little cards explaining our LO's behavior. The cards used the term 'Alzheimer's' but I guess it doesn't matter. I never did hand one out--it would have to be done surreptitiously! But it might be a good way to alert a waitress, dental office, barber or some others with whom our LO comes into contact, without using the 'D' word out loud. I still have the cards--I should get them out and use them but I'm always afraid the recipient will ignore him altogether, which I don't want. It's hard to know quite what to do but there are situations where the information might be helpful.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:21 pm

I carry the 'Dementia' cards I made from the Spouse Support files, Pat. I've used them in airplanes and one time, I handed one to a hotel front desk clerk who was puzzled that Dale wanted to climb Mount Vesuvius in Italy. (I kid you not!)

The desk clerk was trying to explain to Dale how much time it would take to climb the mountain and that getting there by taxi was very expensive. Dale wasn't about to be discouraged. He was going! I finally said we didn't have the time.

Talk about a hallucination..... I was ready to have one. :lol: I hate to disagree with Dale in public but he was not going to change his mind.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:02 pm

Lynn,
Since smell can be greatly affected in many neurodegenerative disorders, taste can be affected as well. Many people decide that things they've been enjoying for years no longer taste good. I have never heard of this change of taste for ice cream....seems to be immune.
Robin

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:25 pm

I often handed out "My family member has dementia. Thanks for your patience." cards to people. Somehow asking people to be patient, really sinks in.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next