View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Mom has just a few days left 

Post Mom has just a few days left
According to mom's hospice dr, she has a few days to a week left to live. She's only drinking a few sips of Ensure and water each day, has difficulty swallowing, sleeping and cannot be roused easily, very little communication, and can't take her meds any longer. My brother, his son & baby, his daughter & baby are coming from out-of-state for tommorow for the weekend and my daugher, husband, and baby will be able to spend Sat with us too. Her only other grandchild, my son, is in Iraq and hopefully he will be able to call and speak with her by telephone. Would appreciate all thoughts & prayers--that she will be able to respond to them and that we all can all have closure. Thankfully, at this point, she is in no pain so God is good! Maybe she'll just be able to pass in her sleep.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:09 pm
Profile YIM

Post Re: Mom has just a few days left
You will be in my thoughts and prayers, Kitkat. Having just lost my own mother in September, I understand what you are experiencing. We waited 10 days from the time Mother stopped eating and drinking. It seemed like forever.

With hugs,

Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:44 pm

Of course I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers, be with your mom as much as possible as they say the hearing is the last to go and with family coming she will know she was loved until the end and beyond, May her journey be peaceful.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:59 pm
Profile WWW

Kathie,
Your dear mother and other family members will be in my thoughts. I hope your mother's passing is peaceful.
Robin

Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:10 pm

You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. God bless all of you!

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:19 pm

Kitkat,
How fortunate for your Mom that she has so many loved ones that will be with her when she passes, or just before. I do hope for you all that she can respond to you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Sher

Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:53 pm

Kitkat, I'll be thinking of you and your family, and pray that your mom has peaceful passing.
Take care, Gerry

Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:25 am

Kathie - thinking of you and sending lots of support "over the airwaves." I will be going through this shortly too, I think. Lynn

Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:15 pm

Your LO is lucky to have such a great family. My MIL is approaching this stage and her daughters never call her. One called last week to check on her mother but never asked to speak to her. I have no reason to believe that they will be here at the end. One is already hinting that funerals give her nightmares. You are a good person and you have a good family. Yes, your LO is very lucky indeed.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:09 am

Thanks to everyone for your kind words, prayers, and encouragement. All of mom's children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren were here this weekend (3 babies under 20 mths). We all got pictures & had time to share our hearts, individually, with mom. Even my son from Iraq made it back today, which was a total surprise! Mom wasn't able to respond the first day they were here, but yesterday and today, she opened her eyes several times for a few minutes at a time and looked at everyone. She was even able to say "hello and I love you" and a few other things to everyone. I believe she heard everything that was said to her. Many times she would move her voice trying to speak, but she's so weak that she just cannot speak much. She isn't able to drink anything at all as she aspirates on liquids, even her saliva, but I do try to use a tongue sponge to moisten her mouth and lips. Everyone left this evening and I am exhausted and I know mom must be too. It's just a matter of time now but how blessed she, and I, have been by this weekend. God is good! Again, thanks for responding and I do know that I am blessed by my family's love and support.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:27 pm
Profile YIM

How wonderful that you could all be together and that your mother spoke to you all!

Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:48 am

So glad your mom had you and so many of her family members surrounding her today. Based on how my dad is with visitors, I imagine your mom is exhausted, but what a great way to get tired out! Hope you get a good night's sleep. Lynn

Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:15 am

How nice everyone was able to be with your Mom and that she interacted with them, May her day be peaceful!

Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:52 am
Profile WWW

Kitkat, I'm glad your mom had a nice farewell visit with all the loved ones. I hope today is peaceful for you both with your memories of yesterday's visit. She is truly lucky to have you by her side. Sher

Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:31 am

Mom went home to be with the Lord this morning. Extremely peaceful, pain-free passing. Was able to communicate with me through last night. Had a wonderful devotion time both last night and again this morning, sharing God's Word, praying and singing. She passed right after I quit singing Amazing Grace! The hospice nurse had just come by to check on her so she was with me. Thanks to Robin's help, everything went like clockwork regarding the brain procurement. She was picked up with 20 min of her passing and the procurement was completed with 2 hrs of her death. Viewing will be Sun afternoon & the homegoing celebration will be Mon at 11 am. Would appreciate your continued prayers. Won't have access to a computer for several days, but will post the obit when I return. Again, thanks for all the support and encouragement. This forum and the people on it are such a blessing. I will miss mom terribly as she was in my home for almost 2 years but my heart is at peace in knowing that she's out of pain and walking around in heaven!

Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:13 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next