View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 Here we go again. 

Post Here we go again.
After a couple of months of relative calm, my MIL is beginning to show signs of another decline. She has been sleeping more frequently and her hypostatic blood pressure is acting up again. She has passed out a few times and really banged herself up one of those times. It was really low in the doctor's office the other day. She also appears to be more out of it and has a funny expression on her face at times. She can't communicate much, and nods her head rather than reply when relatives call. She eats well, so at least there's that. She also needs to go to the bathroom -- a lot! Hope she can pull out of this one.

Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:36 pm

Post Re: Here we go again.
There are meds one can take for the OH (orthostatic hypotension). There are lots of non-pharmacological approaches as well.

Could your MIL be experiencing an infection, which would explain why she's more out of it? Or have there been any medication changes?

Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:02 pm

She's currently taking midodrene. She also gets strong coffee in the morning and we make sure she keeps the fluids going. No med changes recently. We salt her food to try to keep the blood pressure up. She won't walk around or do exercises in her chair to get the blood pumping. Do you know of any other tricks or meds we can suggest? She has an appointment with a cardiologist to see if there is something he can suggest. Don't think there is an infection involved. When there is she pretty much becomes incoherent and can't even stand up. No temp.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:42 am

When faced with similar circumstances, I ask myself - "am I trying to keep my LO going for ME or for HIM?" Is she on hospice? Do her medical people thinks she is at end of life? What amount of intervention do you think she'd want at this stage - is it documented in an advanced directive or has she had conversations in the past about what she'd want under these circumstances? I wish you and your family the best. It is a difficult time. Lynn

Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:38 pm

In reading previous posts, I haven't found a good place to make these comments so I've selected this somewhat vague slot.

Dale is still mobile and the disease has not taken away most of his ordinary daily skills. He can shave, shower himself, etc. However, he is always bored and I think that leads to increased delusions and hallucinations. I try to take him away from the house almost every day because his mind seems better when his eyes are exposed to more than the walls of our house.

In the past couple of days, we've been involved in social situations that are stimulating for me but I wonder what they are doing to his mind. When I'm actively involved in conversation with friends, he sits quietly. He is really happy (and actually, extremely grateful) when someone opts to single him out and communicate with him directly. His face lights up and he becomes a different person. That, of course, is rare.

Yesterday, I was answering some questions asked by a male friend who is 20 years younger than I am - and Dale became very agitated and angry. He didn't like the fact that I was 'too friendly' with the younger man. Dale apologized later but I'm aware that we are living in two very different worlds at this point. In Dale's world, it's sad but people are not to be trusted and paranoia rules.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:01 am

dagoetz -

You are doing lots of good things to treat the OH. One thing that jumps out is the use of Jobst stockings. You could try that. Also, before standing, eat or drink something salty such as a Dill pickle, a handful of potato chips, or a glass of Gatorade. (Even drinking a glass of water before standing helps.)

See this post for a list of non-pharmacological treatments:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1944

Is the head of the bed raised at night?

Robin

Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:44 pm

Hadn't heard of the socks. We give her something to drink before she stands and her head is raised in bed. Thanks for the tips.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:42 pm

We call them TED hose [I think they're the same] and they are very snug and elastic. They force the blood from the leg veins back up to the heart and this helps keep the BP up. They can be a PIA to put on but they do work.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:49 pm

Leone -
You might post on that topic here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2430
Robin

Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:24 am

Robin.... You have my permission to do that if you wish....

Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:16 am

Leone,
You can do it on your own by clicking here:
posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=2430
Robin

Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]