View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 medications for LBD vs medictions for Parkinsons 

Post medications for LBD vs medictions for Parkinsons
My mom who's 70yo. was diagnosed with Parkinsons 9mos. ago.. after reading and seeing the many symptoms she exhibits I feel she may have LBD along with Parkinsons'. I will be bringing this up to her nuerologist at her next appt. (Nov). I was wondering if the meds used for Parkinsons' ( she's on sinamet) is different for the ones they prescribe for LBD?

Thanks for any info. Gayle

Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:55 am

Post Re: medications for LBD vs medictions for Parkinsons
Many LBD patients take Sinemet. My husband takes Stalevo, which is similar. In the other thread you mention that your mother is on a psych drug. Do you know what it is? There are some, like Haldol, which are contraindicated in LBD. [Actually, I think they are also contraindicated in PD, as well] My husband also had very bad results from Risperdal [risperidone] over a few weeks period but he was able to recover to baseline.

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:07 pm

Thanks again Mockturtle, I will find out what psych drug she's taking and get back.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:19 pm

Mockturtle, I just got her list of Meds. and she's on synthroid, lisinapril,propanalol,sinamet,peroxitine,trazadone,oxybutin,colase,and vit.D

Gayle

Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:34 pm

OK. Synthroid is, of course, her thyroid supplement, lisinopril and propranolol are antihypertensives, sinemet is for PD, paroxetine is a SSRI antidepressant. Oxybutynin [I assume that's what you meant] is for overactive bladder/bladder spasms and has anticholinergic effects which are usually bad for PD & LBD. You might want to ask her physician about that. Colace is a stool softener and Vitamin D is, of course, a supplement being more prescribed of late because of the widespread D deficiencies being seen. Hope this helps. --Pat

Pat [68] married to Derek [84] for 38 years; husband dx PDD/LBD 2005, probably began 2002 or earlier; late stage and in a SNF as of January 2011. Hospitalized 11/2/2013 and discharged to home Hospice. Passed away at home on 11/9/2013.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:17 pm

Gayle,

I can tell you that Lisinopril and Propranolol are blood pressure medications. But, before the LBD diagnosis, a neurologist put Mom on Propranolol to control her tremors (didn't do a lot for them). She adjusted Mom's Lisinopril at the same time, because both medications are considered BP meds.

Can't tell you much about the other meds. Mom takes Aricept and Namenda. But watch out for Haldol, especially in hospitals where you might not catch a dose before they use it. Mom was given Haldol when she had broken shoulders and I am certain that it was responsible for a huge downturn for her.

Kate

Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:23 pm

As mockturtle says, oxybutynin is anticholinergic and should be avoided in someone with cognitive problems. You may want to do a search here for how to deal with urinary incontinence without these anticholinergic bladder spasm medications. You choices include DDAVP and botox injections.

You might want to do a search here for posts about propranolol (note that there are two Rs in this word).

You mother is NOT on a dementia medication! Speak with her MD about this ASAP. Choices include Exelon (FDA-approved for PDD), Aricept, Razadyne, and Namenda.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:25 pm

The general question you are asking is if there is a difference in PD meds and LBD meds. One type of LBD....and perhaps the type your mother has...is PDD - Parkinson's Disease Dementia. This is dementia in the context of Parkinson's Disease.

I *highly* recommend you read Dr. Brad Boeve's "Continuum" paper, which is posted on lbda.org. It reviews all the symptoms of LBD and gives good info on pharmacological treatment of these symptoms. This would also be a good paper to give your mother's neurologist.

Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:30 pm

As Robin has suggested, LBD and PDD patients usually benefit from dementia medications such as Exelon, Aricept, etc. soon after diagnosis. My husband has been on the Exelon patch since 2007. It had immediate results, not just improvement in cognition but a decrease in hostility and anger which had been a big problem. It's difficult to tell what, if any effect, it continues to have but his doctors all agree he should stay on it. --Pat

Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:46 pm

Thank you all for your responses.

Robin I will read and print off the Continum Paper and bring it to my moms neurologist..

Thanks again for all your help :)

Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]